2022/2023 African Union Media Fellowship for Journalists: Are you an African journalist, blogger, vlogger, content creator, or podcaster living and working in Africa or the diaspora? Are you keen on promoting development-focused stories using emerging technologies, through visual, written, oral and digital media? Then apply for the maiden African Union Media Fellowship 2022.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
The fellowship is intended to bring together innovation and creativity to present under-reported stories that break down stereotypes and create new narratives for Africa we want.
Eligibility Criteria for African Union Media Fellowship
To be considered for the African Union Media Fellowship, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- The AU Media Fellowship is open to journalists, bloggers, vloggers, content creators, and podcasters living on the continent or the diaspora.
- Fellows must be actively involved in innovative media either as a journalist or related field of work for at least three years with a demonstrable impact-driven track record.
- All applicants for the AU Media Fellowship must be working journalists with at least three years of full-time, professional journalism experience or in a related field. Internships and journalism-related work completed as a university student do not count as professional experience.
- Applicants may be affiliated or freelance journalists. However, all applicants must provide a reference letter or endorsement from a senior editor.
- Applicants must speak, read, and write English fluently in order to fully participate in and benefit from the Fellowship.
- With their application, the Fellows confirm willingness to report on African Union events and themes, as well as availability to be interviewed about the fellowship by international partners.
- The Fellows confirm willingness to participate in events and workshops for the duration of the fellowship.
- Fellows must be able to travel to Berlin in June 2022 and meet all criteria for eligibility for a Schengen Visa in their country, including but not limited to:
- Having a valid passport at least until December 2022
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ( Find out more details on the website of the German Embassy in your country.)
- Provision of the necessary documents needed for your visa application. You will be responsible for acquiring the visa.
- All travel costs will be reimbursed and covered.
Fellowship Benefits of African Union Media Fellowship
- International study trips and exposure
- Certified workshops and webinars with renowned international partners such as Deutsche Welle, BBC Media Action, Hass-Plattner-Institute, the AU, and international media houses.
- Access to AU leadership and policymakers and network with other fellows.
- Support from Senior Mentors and Institutions.
- Fellows were awarded grants to enable them to produce detailed stories.
How To Apply
Interested applicants for the African Union Media fellowship 2022 are to send their application by email to [email protected] by the application deadline.
The application should consist of:
- Resume: Please use a standard format (no picture, religion or marital status).
- Coverletter: A one-page document outlining your motivation, qualifications, and experience.
- Proposal: Please include the following three sections:
- Story proposals: Please include a short description of the stories you plan to cover (about 200 words each), and whom you plan to contact for interviews.
- Publication plan: Specify your plan for publication (language and target publication).
- Social media: Briefly explain how you plan to engage with the African Union Commission in the course of the fellowship.
- Work samples: Please submit two work samples. If your work samples are in other forms of media (e.g. video) please email us and we will accommodate these requests.
The Application Deadline 30th April 2022
Interested applicants can visit the Official Website for more information.