2022/2023 Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LExS) for International Students
Leiden University is pleased to offer the Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LExS) for International Students for the 2022-2023 academic session. The award which is available for Master’s degree study programmes is now open for applications.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
The scholarship is for excellent students joining a full-time Leiden University Master’s degree programme – with the exception of LLM (non-advanced) and MSc programmes at Leiden Law School.
Details of Leiden University Excellence Scholarship 2022
Scholarships will not be awarded to applicants who have already obtained a Leiden University Master’s degree, with the exception of students applying for a Master’s programme for which a specified previous Master’s programme or work experience is mandatory (e.g. LLM Advanced Studies programmes).
The LExS is awarded for the duration of the study programme. There are three available levels of awards:
- € 10,000 of the tuition fee
- € 15,000 of the tuition fee
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
The LExS is not a full scholarship. Non-EEA LExS recipients must still submit ‘proof of sufficient funds’ for their student visa/residence permit application.
Eligibility Criteria for Leiden University Excellence Scholarship 2022
To be eligible for Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LExS), applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- Applicants for all Master’s programme at Leiden University – with the exception of LLM (non-advanced) and MSc programmes at Leiden Law School.
- Non-EEA/non-EFTA nationals who are applying for a Master’s programme at Leiden University. See additional note for UK students below.
- Students of all nationalities applying for an LLM Advanced Studies programme, or the MSC in International Relations and Diplomacy.
- Students must have achieved excellent academic results in their previous study programme(s), which must be relevant to the Master’s programme for which they are applying.
- Eligible Programmes: The following faculties are eligible for the study scholarship: Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science, African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies
How To Apply
To be considered for Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LExS), you are expected to the following steps:
- Apply online for admission to a Master’s programme at Leiden University and pay the application fee if applicable.
- In the scholarship section of your online application, indicate that you wish to apply for a LExS.
- Upload your LExS motivation letter as instructed in your online application. This is a PDF file of max. 500 words, in which you explain why you would like to be considered for the award.
- Submit your online application, containing your LExS application, before the LExS application deadline.
- If you apply for more than one study programme and wish to apply for a LExS for each, indicate this clearly in each application and upload a LExS motivation letter for each.
The Application Deadline is 1st October (for programmes starting 1 Feb)