2022 Fund for Investigative Journalism Grants (up to $10,000)
The Fund for Investigative Journalism provides grants and other support to independent journalists and news organizations to produce high-quality, unbiased, nonpartisan investigative stories that have an impact.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
They directly support investigative journalists for news stories, books, documentaries and podcasts that uncover wrongdoing by powerful people or institutions.
The Fund for Investigative Journalism was founded in 1969 by the late Philip M. Stern, a public-spirited philanthropist who devoted his life “to balancing the scales of justice.” Stern was convinced that small amounts of money invested in the work of determined journalists would yield enormous results in the fight against racism, poverty, corporate greed and government corruption.
FIJ provides four types of grants:
- Regular grants: They review proposals three to four times a year for grants up to $10,000. The next deadline is Wednesday, September 7, 2022.
- Expedited grants: In rare cases, they provide expedited review for proposals that are extremely urgent and cannot wait for the regular review cycle. These proposals are reviewed on a rolling basis and applicants receive a decision within about two weeks.
- Follow-up grants: They accept proposals for timely follow-up coverage to original investigations that were produced with grants from the Fund. Grantees can apply for expedited review for follow-up grants up to $2,500.
- Emergency Grants: Threats to Democracy in the U.S.: These grants are for stories that break new ground and expose wrongdoing related to threats to democracy in the U.S. for up to $10,000. They will review proposals on a rolling basis. Grant decisions can be expected within 2-4 weeks of submission of application.
- Freelance journalists, staff reporters and media outlets are eligible;
- Their investigations can be for print, online or broadcast stories, books, documentaries or podcasts.
How To Apply
- Regular, Expedited, and Follow-up proposals are submitted through this application form.
- Emergency Grants are submitted through this application form.
The Submission Deadline is 7th September 2022