2022 Safe Sisters’ Third Fellowship Program Workshop for African women
Safe Sisters is a fellowship program for women human rights defenders, journalists or media workers that builds the capacity to understand and respond to the digital safety challenges that they face in their work and daily life.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
This unique opportunity brings together human rights defenders and civil society persons from across Africa for intensive training and networking while learning how to strategically employ digital tools across the spectrum of data management, content development, and digital security.
The safe sister fellowship is about empowering girls and women working on human rights issues to take control of their space online and information and share with other women. Participants must be willing to learn in a fast-paced programme and should have the capacity and commitment to maximize their benefit from the programme.
The Safe Sister Digital Skills Fellowship is made possible with the support of the Belgian Development Cooperation – DGD, Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs, Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation.
Requirements for Safe Sisters’ Third Fellowship Program Workshop:
- Apply individually and must be based in Ghana, South Africa, Nigeria, Tanzania, Kenya, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe, and Liberia.
- Their work should mainly be focused on promotion and protection of human rights.
- Have an existing high-impact digital project or idea they wish to bring into the workshop and implement after the cycle of safe sisters.
- Have an open mind to learn and experiment with new digital tools and concepts.
- Applicants should be proficient in English (written, spoken, and comprehension).
- Participants will be able to take part in a workshop over a period of five days, with DefendDefenders, to ensure that learning is tailored to the needs of the group.
- The participants will define and work on their own project throughout the course of participating in the workshop and receive support and mentorship in realizing their project vision.
- Participants will also become members of our alumni network after they have gone through the whole cycle, including access to mentors, creatives, safe sister signal group, a mailing list, e-learning opportunities, and priority in subsequent events.
- All costs related to enabling participation in the workshop will be covered by DefendDefenders.
- Participants shall be given the opportunity to apply for grants for the implementation of their own activities, following the successful completion of the fellowship programme.
How to Apply:
Selection into the program is highly competitive. We encourage you to apply early and put your best foot forward.
Phase 1: Fill out this application form
Phase 2: Selection
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Phase 3: Self-study.
Phase 4: Preparation for the workshop.
If you are selected to attend the workshops, you must complete several online assignments that will be assigned by the Safe Sister lead.
Phase 5: The workshop
The workshop will take place from the 11th – the 15th of July 2022 unless otherwise communicated.
Phase 6: Mentorship
There will be mentorship and financial/technical follow-up support to alumni of the fellowship.
The Application Deadline is 17th June 2022.