As a commitment through Sony’s Global Social Justice Fund, the Sony Music Group Global Scholars Program, is an initiative designed to provide scholarships for students enrolled in a wide range of leading music and music business-related fields of study at accredited colleges and universities.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
The overall goals of the program include:
- To support students through their college careers and guide them towards college completion.
- To help steward and cultivate students throughout their college career by providing enrichment programming and exposure to Sony Music Group’s music professionals and industry.
- To help build and grow a diverse talent demographic of young music leaders towards gainful employment.
- And to help alleviate the financial burden of students from diverse backgrounds for up to the period of the degree program or upon completion, whichever is sooner, depending on financial need and region.
Requirements and Qualifications for Sony Music Group Global Scholars Program
- This scholarship is open to students who are planning to enroll full-time in an accredited college or university degree, including 3-4 year undergraduate degree programs, in music or music business-related fields of study during the academic year of 2022-2023.
- Maintain a U.S. equivalent GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or above is required to apply for this scholarship.
- An applicant’s academic record must show potential to succeed in a college/university program in their intended music industry field.
- A demonstrated financial need.
- Applicants do not need to be accepted into a program at the time of application, but if selected for a scholarship, proof of full-time enrollment will be required before scholarship funds can be sent.
Benefits of Sony Music Group Global Scholars Program
- Scholarship amounts will range between USD 3,000 and USD 20,000 per academic year for required tuition and mandatory fees to complete students’ degree programs and vary depending on the location of the college/university, the type of college/university (state university, private university, etc.), and the Sony Music Group Global Scholar’s expected financial need.
- Scholarships are intended to assist students as they pursue undergraduate study and are NOT intended to cover all educational expenses. Recipients are responsible for the balance of funding, including tuition and fees, books and supplies, living expenses, and transportation.
- In addition to receiving the scholarship, Sony Music Group Global Scholars may be given other opportunities by Sony Music Group to further their professional development, including unpaid internship or mentorship opportunities.
- Upon acceptance, the Sony Music Group Global Scholars Program will provide a wide range of enrichment programming, including structured events and webinars to connect with SMG industry experts to cultivate an international cohort of future music industry professionals.
Scholarship applicants will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Achievement and potential in music fields
- Demonstrated leadership potential and ability
- Personal character, commitment, and potential in their chosen field of study and future music industry career
- Clearly expressed financial need to support educational goals
- Academic achievement
- Career and academic goals in line with stated scholarship objectives
- Compelling references
Notification of Selection Results
- All applicants will be notified of their application status (successful or unsuccessful) by the end of September.
- The Sony Music Group Global Scholars Program is a competitive program; not all applicants will be selected as recipients.
- Recipients will need to submit verification of their full-time enrollment in an accredited college or university in order to receive their scholarship awards.
- For students in the United States selected for the scholarship, IIE will require that they submit their financial aid package information. Based on the student’s unmet financial needs, IIE will determine the scholarship amount ranging between USD 3,000 and USD 20,000.
- Scholarship recipients who are not able to produce proof of enrollment by the date indicated in the award letter will no longer be eligible and an alternate candidate will be selected.
June 27, 2022: Online application opens
July 25, 2022: Application and Letters of Recommendation deadline
September 2022: Scholarship recipients announced
Documents Required for Application
A complete application must be submitted in English and will include:
- Completed online application form
- A personal statement (up to 3,500 characters)
- An estimate of your expected tuition and mandatory fees to complete your degree programs during the academic year of 2022-2023;
- Two reference letters. The letters must come from non-family members who know you well – for example, a teacher, instructor, professor, employer/work supervisor, scout leader, advisor to an extracurricular club, etc.
- High school transcript/grade report issued by the school (for applicants from the United Kingdom or Commonwealth countries, A level, O level, GCSE, or BTEC results are also acceptable)
- Only applications completed by the deadline will be reviewed. Falsifying or plagiarizing any portion of your application is grounds for automatic disqualification.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Sony Music Group on myapp.iie.org to apply