2022 TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship Programme for Developing Countries
TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship 2022: South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) and Department of Science and Technology (DST) in partnership with TWAS is pleased to announce the TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship to advance science in developing countries.
TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowships are tenable at research institutions in South Africa for a maximum period of three years. They are awarded to scientists from developing countries (other than South Africa) to enable them to pursue PhD research in the natural sciences.
Details of TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship 2022
The TWAS-NRF programme is a Fellowship in South Africa for candidates in the science and engineering discipline. Awarded candidates under TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowships will be provided Partial Cost of Study (PCS) funding and this will only cover tuition fees (R30 000 per annum) and accommodation costs (R60 000 per annum) for a maximum of R90 000 per annum per student. Additionally, the NRF will cover the cheapest return economy flight and the visa and/or study permit costs for TWAS-NRF doctoral awarded candidates.
To be eligible for the TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship 2022, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be citizens and permanent residents from developing countries on the African continent and elsewhere;
- Must not be living, studying, or working in South Africa in 2022;
- Applicants who were previously employed or studying towards a degree, or undertaking research in South Africa, and have returned to their country of origin, but have been in their country of origin for less than two (2) years, are not eligible to apply;
- Must have obtained an MSc degree in a field of natural sciences;
- Must have obtained a minimum of 65% at the master’s level in order to apply for doctoral funding;
- Must register at a South African public university in 2022, on a full-time basis and may be based at any South African public research institution including Higher Education Institutions (HEIs), Science Councils and National Research Facilities;
- Must be a maximum of 32 years of age by 31 December of the year of application.
- Must have proof of evaluation of all foreign qualifications (obtained from non-South African universities) evaluated by the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA) or proof that the applicant has submitted his/her qualifications to SAQA for evaluation.
- Must meet visa and immigration laws of the applicant’s home country and South Africa.
- Must return to their country of origin upon completion of their studies.
- Are only eligible to pursue research in Science, Engineering, and Technology (SET) disciplines.
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Provide an official proof of study application and/or acceptance letter from a host South African institution, department, or laboratory;
- Provide motivation from the prospective doctoral supervisor.
- Provide an English language proficiency certificate (if available at the time of the application).
- Present a detailed research project that must be registered and approved by the host institution and provide a letter of support from the prospective host supervisor;
- Provide an official academic record on the university letterhead.
How To Apply
Interested applicants for the TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship 2022 are to contact institutions in South Africa or potential supervisors to obtain a placement in the programme. Applicants can then proceed to apply for the doctoral fellowship for 2022 by accessing the NRF Online application system.
The Application Deadline is 8th July 2022
Interested applicants can visit the official webpage for more information
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
- How to Win Undergraduate Scholarships in Nigeria
- Study Loan Sources for International Students
- Free IELTS Study Materials | Download for offline use
- How to Live and Study in UK for International Students
- How to Live and Study in USA for International Students
- Prepare yourself with Recruitment, Interview & Aptitude Tests.