2022 United States Department of State (DOS) TechGirls Exchange Program
TechGirls is an international summer exchange program designed to empower and inspire young women from around the world to pursue careers in science and technology.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
The TechGirls program is a four-week (July 8 – August 3, 2022) summer exchange designed to empower and support young women (ages 15-17) to pursue higher education and careers in STEM fields through hands-on skills development.
TechGirls – TechGirls is an Initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. TechGirls is an international summer exchange program designed to empower and inspire young women from around the world to pursue careers in science and technology.
Since 2012, TechGirls has trained and mentored 343 teenage girls (ages 15-17) from Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, Tunisia, and Yemen. In 2019, the program expanded to include young women from Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan).
In 2022, the program will expand to support approximately 111 young women from 36 participating countries and 25 U.S. peers in a dynamic four week U.S.- based experience with an 8-month mentoring program (including pre-and post-exchange).
The core of the program is a 27-day experience in the United States in partnership with Virginia Tech University. TechGirls participate in interactive technology and computer camp, then travel to one of the following cities (Austin, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Detroit, Portland or Seattle) for job shadowing at a tech company, and homestay and community service experiences. The TechGirls programming yields a multiplier effect as participants return home to conduct community-based projects with 5 months of mentorship.
Students eligible to apply are those who:
Are from one of the following eligible countries:
- Sub-Saharan Africa (AF) – Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, and South Africa
- East Asia and Pacific (EAP) – Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Mongolia, Taiwan, and Vietnam
- The Middle East and North Africa (NEA) – Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia
- South and Central Asia (SCA) – Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- Western Hemisphere (WHA) – Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Suriname
- Europe and Eurasia (EUR) – Albania, Cyprus, Greece, Kosovo, Montenegro, and Turkey
- United States of America
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange July 7th, 2022;
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in technology;
- Have strong English language skills;
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness;
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country; and
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home.
- Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have travelled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other ECA exchange program.
Please note that family members of U.S. Embassy or Consulate staff. U.S. Department of State employees, family members of the administering organization or partner organizations are not eligible to apply.
TechGirls encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
The TechGirls program covers the following costs:
- Visa Fee
- Roundtrip international airfare from participant home country to the United States
- Housing during program
- Double occupancy dormitory accommodations
- Meals during program
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Local transportation to group program events
- Cultural events organized by Legacy International
- Emergency health insurance
- Prior to applying, we urge all applicants to read our Eligibility and Application requirements.
- Complete ALL ANSWERS in English
- For essay questions, we recommend you write them in a Word Document first and then paste them into the online form
- You can save your progress and return to the form by clicking the Save button located at the bottom of the Application. You can save progress as much as you wish until you are ready for final submission.
- Once you are ready to submit the application, click Complete on the Dashboard. The program will return you back to the Application. If you select Complete at the bottom of the Application it will attempt submission. If any required fields are incomplete, you will be directed to complete them prior to submission. Once you have submitted a complete application, you will not be able to edit it afterwards.
How To Apply
When you are ready to begin, you can start by selecting Register and Begin Application to start the registration process. Upon submission for Account Creation, you will be emailed a confirmation link. Be sure to check Spam/Junk if you do not receive the email in short order. ACTIVATE your account by clicking the link in your email.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us from our online form.