2022 WE Empower UN SDG Challenge for Women Leaders
Applications for the WE Empower UN SDG Challenge 2022 are now open. The WE Empower UN SDG Challenge is the first-of-its-kind global competition for social entrepreneurs who are advancing the UN Sustainable Development Goals and inspiring entire communities to act to create the world we want by 2030.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
The WE Empower Challenge honors innovative women leaders from around the world who are pushing the SDGs forward through sustainable business practices and inspiring others to follow suit. The opportunity recognizes their innovative work and provides Awardees with capacity-building training sessions and opportunities to connect with an unparalleled global network to advance their enterprises. This program elevates and showcases the valuable contribution women entrepreneurs and business leaders can make toward the SDGs and solving the world’s greatest challenges.
- In 2022, the WE Empower Challenge Awardees will participate in events surrounding the 77th UN General Assembly as well as will connect with renowned business experts from around the world.
- Awardees will also participate in a dynamic pitch competition, hosted by fashion designer, activist, and Vital Voices Board Member Diane von Furstenberg, to present their business for the opportunity to receive a $20,000 grant.
Eligibility Criteria For 2022 WE Empower UN SDG Challenge for Women Leaders
- Applicant must be a woman entrepreneur with lead decision making ability in a business or organization;
- Your business/organization has been in operation for more than three years;
- You employ at least three full-time staff (or full-time equivalent);
- Your business/organization generates at least $100,000 USD in annual sales or revenue;
- You are proficient in spoken and written English;
- You are at least 21 years old;
- You are available to travel to New York, NY, and participate in all events from Friday, September 17 through Saturday, September 25, 2022 (COVID-19 travel restrictions permitting) AND if necessary, you are able to participate in a virtual program from August through October 2022.
Applicants will be assessed based on a variety of factors, including the following considerations.
- Commit to the entire week of the in-person program (travel permitting) or a virtual program held from August through October – no exceptions.
- Applicants’ business or organization has a substantial impact on the SDGs and a clear vision for how their business will create the future we want in 2030.
- Help shape the community dialogue about women’s advancement and the SDGs in their region, and wield the influence necessary.
How To Apply
2022 WE Empower UN SDG Challenge application is now open. All applications are due by April 15, 2022.
Applicants are to submit a short video of themselves (maximum of two minutes) providing the information and answering the questions listed below, in English. A video submission is a required part of the competition.
In designing your response, remember that less attention is paid to the quality of your video and more attention is given to the quality of your response. It is acceptable, if you wish, to make your short video using a smartphone.
What to answer in your video
- State your full name (first name and family name)
- State the name of your organization and your job title
- State the name of the country your business is located
- What is the mission of your organization?
- What do you hope to achieve if you are selected to participate as a finalist in this competition?
- What is the impact of your activities on the UN SDGs?
For more information, visit UN SDG Challenge.
The Application Deadline is 15th April 2022