2022 Wellcome Sanger Institute Prize Competition For Undergraduate Students
The Sanger Institute Prize is an outreach competition for undergraduate students from low- and middle-income countries and gives the winner an opportunity to experience the very cutting edge of genomic research.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is one of the premier centres of genomic discovery and understanding in the world. It leads ambitious collaborations across the globe to provide the foundations for further research and transformative healthcare innovations.
Its success is founded on the expertise and knowledge of its people and the Institute seeks to share its discoveries and techniques with the next generation of genomics scientists and researchers worldwide.
Students receive their IMES when they enter their first year at UBC, and the scholarships are renewable for up to three additional years of study.
The number and level of these scholarships awarded each year vary, depending on available funding.
To be eligible to apply for the Sanger Prize applicants must meet all of the criteria below:
- Be from a low or middle-income country (a full list of eligible countries is available below).
- Be studying an undergraduate degree relevant to genomics at a University/Institute in a low/middle-income country at the time of the first stage application. This could include any biological science degree, bioinformatics or any degree which includes genomics as a large part of the content.
- Demonstrate an active interest in research in the genomics field
- Have a good command of English (demonstrated by the clear writing within the application form, no certificate of English is required).
- Be over 18 at the time of applying
Duration and Reward
The winner of the Sanger Institute Prize will be offered a three-month internship with a research group at the Wellcome Sanger Institute. Travel, living and research expenses are all covered by the award.
All essential expenses will be paid for by the prize fund including travel costs, visa costs, accommodation and reasonable food costs during the three-month internship.
The winner will be able to choose the lab and faculty host they work with, subject to the availability of the host.
The winner will be able to choose the timing of their internship which should be taken within a year of being awarded (travel restrictions due to Covid -19 or other unexpected events will be taken into consideration and exceptions made).
Applicants who do not meet all of the above criteria will not be considered for the second stage of the competition.
Stage one – Expression of interest
Submissions for the Sanger Prize Competition will open in Mid November and close on Friday 7th January 2022 at 5 pm UK time. Entries received after this time will not be accepted.
First stage applicants are asked to complete a short application form and write an expression of interest detailing their scientific interests, their interests in genomics and why they want to come to the Sanger Institute. The maximum word count for the expression of interest is 500 words, applicants should aim to write close to this amount in order to fully demonstrate their interest and suitability in the prize and any applications with a word count of less than 250 will not be reviewed.
Stage two – Essay
Successful candidates will then be asked to take part in stage two of the process, which is to write an essay with a given title. Details of this stage will be emailed to the candidates at the beginning of March 2022 and they will be given one month to complete the essay.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should apply using this link.
⚡️We have recorded a 96% success rate on our ad packages at Latest Opportunities. You can read customers comments, check our numbers or book a package now.
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
- How to Win Undergraduate Scholarships in Nigeria
- Study Loan Sources for International Students
- Free IELTS Study Materials | Download for offline use
- How to Live and Study in UK for International Students
- How to Live and Study in USA for International Students
- Prepare yourself with Recruitment, Interview & Aptitude Tests.
You must log in to post a comment.