2023 American University Human Rights Essay Award for Lawyers
The 2023 American University Human Rights Essay Award is open to all lawyers around the world regardless of their nationality.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
Only one submission will be accepted per applicant in either language, English or Spanish. If more than one essay is received, it will be left up to the applicant to decide which essay to submit officially.
The best essays on Topic 2023: “Equality and Human Rights: Confronting Racial Discrimination” will receive numerous award.
The Human Rights Essay Award is an annual competition sponsored by the Academy that seeks to stimulate the production of scholarly work in international human rights law.
THE TOPIC FOR 2023 is EQUALITY AND HUMAN RIGHTS: CONFRONTING RACIAL DISCRIMINATION
Winning essays -in English and in Spanish- will published in The American University International Law Review (AUILR). The AUILR is an important journal with relevant academic material, which receives approximately 1,500 submissions annually and publishes a wide range of legal scholarship from professors, judges, practicing lawyers, and renowned legal thinkers.
To be considered for the Essay Competition, you must:
- Hold a law degree and have a demonstrated experience or interest in human rights law
- Not be a past winner of the competition
- Choose a subject pertaining to the topic chosen by the Academy
- Submit an unpublished legal essay in English or Spanish
- Not cowrite essay with two or more people
- Submit essay of legal document and must contain extensive research and legal analysis
- Not put your name or any identifying information in the essay
- A full scholarship to the Program of Advanced Studies on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law for either the Diploma or Certificate of Attendance options
- Travel expenses to and from Washington D.C
- Housing at the university dorms
- Per diem for living expenses
- The best articles may also be published in the American University International Law Review
- Topic: Equality and Human Rights: Confronting Racial Discrimination
- Length: Maximum of 35 pages
- Essay Body Format:
- Times New Roman font
- 12-point double-spaced
- 1 inch (2.54 cm) margins character spacing
- Footnotes of Essay:
- Times New Roman font
- 10-point single-spaced
- All essays must be on letter size paper (8.5 x 11 inches/21.59 x 27.94 cm)
- Essays must be in word format