2023 RICE Business Plan Competition for Student Entrepreneurs (Up to $2M in prizes)
The competition, just completing its 22nd year, gives collegiate entrepreneurs real-world experience to pitch their startups, enhance their business strategy and learn what it takes to launch a successful company.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
Hosted and organized by the Rice Alliance for Technology and Entrepreneurship—which is Rice University’s internationally-recognized initiative devoted to the support of entrepreneurship—and Rice Business. Over 20 years it has grown from nine teams competing for $10,000 in prize money in 2001, to 42 teams from around the world competing for more 2 million in cash and prizes.
- Energy, Cleantech and Sustainability: (including but not limited to): Agriculture/Agtech, Batteries & Storage, Decarbonization/Climate Tech, Energy Infrastructure, Oil & Gas Technologies, Renewable/Alternative Energy, Recycling, New and Non-Carbon Fuels, Transportation/Electric Vehicles, Water
- Hard Tech: (including but not limited to): Advanced Manufacturing, Advanced Materials, Aerospace/Spacetech, AR & VR (augmented & virtual reality), Autonomous Vehicles, Drones, Machine Learning and AI (Artificial Intelligence), Quantum Computing, Robotics, Smart Sensors
- Life Sciences and Healthcare Solutions: (including but not limited to): Aging/Gerontology, Biotech, Diagnostics, Digital Health, Disease Management, Public Health, Medical Devices, Personalized Medicine, Pharma & Therapeutics, Prevention
- Digital Enterprise: (including but not limited to): Big Data, Blockchain, Cyber/IoT Security, Cloud & Edge Computing, Enterprise Software, Fintech, Media & Advertising, SportsTech, Supply Chain/Logistics, Workforce
- Consumer Products and Services: (including but not limited to): Analytics, Consumer Web, Education/EdTech, Food & Drink, Gaming, Mobile, Personal Devices, Social Impact, Subscription Services, Wearables & Clothing
- In total, more than $2 Million in investment and cash prizes was awarded to the teams at the 2022 Rice Business Plan Competition.
- They offer an intense, educational experience over the multi-day event for student startup founders to pitch to investors, receive feedback and advance their startup. There is also significant time designated for interaction with judges and prize sponsors, the majority of whom are from the investment community.
- One of the most important parts of the RBPC is the mentoring component. Startups accepted to the competition have the opportunity to engage experts before, during and after the event. The mentoring programme helps founders make their startups stronger, better, more equipped to fundraise and excel in the entrepreneurship ecosystem.
Eligibility Requirement for 2023 RICE Business Plan Competition
You are initially eligible for RBPC 2023 if your startup:
- is student-driven, student-created and/or student-managed;
- has at least two current student founders or management team members, and at least one of those students is a current graduate degree-seeking student;
- are from a college or university anywhere in the world;
- has not raised more than $250,000 in equity capital prior to July 1, 2022;
- has not generated revenue of more than $100,000 in any 12-month period prior to July 1, 2022;
- is seeking funding or capital (or will be in the next 12 months);
- is a potentially viable investment opportunity.
How To Apply
Only one team member will need an account to apply to the Rice Business Plan Competition. Applications are due by the deadline of on Tuesday, February 28, 2023 by 11:59 PM CST.