2023 St. Gallen Symposium Global Essay Competition (CHF 20,000 prize)
Open to: Creatives/Artists, Graduates, Post Graduates, Writers & Poets, Youths
👤 Subscribe on WhatsApp
Applications are open for the St. Gallen Symposium Global Essay Competition 2023. Compete in the Global Essay Competition and qualify for participation as a Leader of Tomorrow in the world’s premier opportunity for cross-generational debates: The St. Gallen Symposium.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
Meet 300 of society’s brightest young minds. Present and debate your ideas with 600 senior leaders. Be inspired by some of the world’s most impressive speakers. Gain a unique and new perspective on this year’s topic. Become a member of a unique global community. Participate in the symposium.
For this year’s St. Gallen Symposium Global Essay Competition on the theme A New Generational Contract, they are calling for students worldwide to provide their perspective on one of the following two questions:
What’s the best legacy your generation has inherited from those before you? And how can we preserve it?
- Choose and briefly describe a major accomplishment which has only become possible through the efforts of older and previous generations. This can be from the realm of political governance, economic development, social norms and ethics, education, health, technology, ecology, arts or any other area you deem relevant. Of particular interest are ideas, institutions, technologies or norms which you believe are challenged by current developments. Describe how current developments challenge this major achievement by older and previous generations and offer a concrete and actionable idea of how it can be preserved for your generation as well as future ones.
What’s the worst legacy your generation has inherited from those before you? And how can we replace it?
- Choose and briefly describe a major problematic legacy which has been passed on from older and previous generations to yours. This can be from political governance, economic development, social norms and ethics, education health, technology, ecology, arts or any other area you deem relevant. Of particular interest are ideas, institutions, technologies or norms at the core of how our world currently works. Describe a concrete and actionable idea of how we can get rid off this problematic legacy left by older and previous generations and what should replace it.
- Win prize money of CHF 20,000 split amongst the three winners.
Eligibility for 2023 St. Gallen Symposium Global Essay Competition
Applicants must be:
- Enrolled in a graduate or postgraduate programme (master level or higher) in any field of study at a regular university.
- Born in 1993 or later.
- Individual work expected, no group work allowed. The essay must be written exclusively for this contest. The idea must be the author’s own.
- All sources must be cited and referred to the respective part in the essay. All contributions will be tested for plagiarism.
- Your name, e-mail address, university, or any identifying details must not be mentioned anywhere in the contribution file.
- Essay (max. 2,100 words, excl. abstract, bibliography, and footnotes)
How To Apply
Make sure you can provide the following documents:
- Copy of passport or other identification (in English for non-Roman languages).
- Confirmation of matriculation/enrolment from your university which proves your enrollment in a graduate/postgraduate level programme as of February 1, 2023 (download sample document here).
- Your contribution file with no indication of your name in the file name, the file metadata or the file itself.
For more information, visit St. Gallen Symposium Essay Competition.
The Application Deadline is 1st February 2023