2023 Tarbell Fellowship for Early-career Journalists (up to $50,000)
The Tarbell Fellowship is a one-year programme for early-career journalists intent on improving the world. The fellowship represents a unique opportunity to do great journalism, covering topics that could have a major impact on the lives of billions, such as global poverty and existential risks.
They believe that good journalism can change the world. Humanity faces a number of key challenges this century, including reducing catastrophic and existential risks, eradicating factory farming and ending global poverty. Relative to their importance, these issues receive much less attention than they deserve. The Tarbell Fellowship seeks to change that. They are creating a community of journalists focused on covering what’s truly important.
- Fellows receive stipends of up to $50,000, depending on circumstances, to accelerate their journalism careers. They expect stipends to vary between $35,000 – $50,000 depending on location and personal circumstances.
- Each fellow will be matched with an experienced journalist. Mentors will provide critical feedback and challenge the fellow to set goals and deliver on them. They’ll conduct fortnightly mentorship calls and connect mentees with their network.
- Fellows will participate in remote sessions each week as a cohort. This will include training in best practices, talks from experts in the field and challenging assignments designed to build skills.
- Fellows attend a two week summit in Oxford at the beginning of the fellowship (March 1 – March 14, 2023). This will be an intensive fortnight of guest speakers, workshops and networking events in Oxford / London. Travel and accommodation costs will be fully covered.
Eligibility Criteria of Tarbell Fellowship for Early-career Journalists
- Open to early-career journalists around the world;
- Have a commitment to improving the world. Many fellows will have a demonstrated passion for and familiarity with one or more of the areas of interest.
- Be passionate about journalism. Previous newsroom experience (including at student newspapers) or comparable experience in a field such as law or research is desirable but not necessary. They seek to support early-career journalists and will prioritise potential over experience.
- Possess excellent writing skills. A creative approach to storytelling combined with the ability to quickly get to the heart of a new topic. Fellows must be able to produce compelling copy under tight deadlines.
- Be relentless. The ability to doggedly pursue your goals and persevere in the face of adversity. Fellows must be willing to work hard, and be capable of withstanding repeated rejection
- Be open-minded. The desire to understand the truth of any given story, even when it conflicts with prior beliefs. Fellows must be open to criticism and recognising ways they can improve their writing and thinking.
How To Apply
This application form includes four sections. They expect it to take approximately 30 minutes to complete provided you already have a current CV and writing samples.
- About you, including your CV.
- Short questions about your suitability for the Tarbell Fellowship.
- Multiple choice questions to understand your motivation and thinking style.
- 1-3 writing sample(s) (500-2000 words) to assess your writing skills.
For more information, visit Tarbell Fellowship.
The Application Deadline is 9th October 2022
⚡️We have recorded a 96% success rate on our ad packages at Latest Opportunities. You can read customers comments, check our numbers or book a package now.
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
- How to Win Undergraduate Scholarships in Nigeria
- Study Loan Sources for International Students
- Free IELTS Study Materials | Download for offline use
- How to Live and Study in UK for International Students
- How to Live and Study in USA for International Students
- Prepare yourself with Recruitment, Interview & Aptitude Tests.
You must log in to post a comment.