The Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Programme 2023 is now accepting applications. Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is a rigorous academic and enrichment program for African secondary school students aiming to continue university education and who want to make a meaningful influence on the continent as young leaders.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
Participants will improve their academic skills, receive advice on university applications and career paths, and join a network of African young leaders. Students will be partnered with mentors who will guide them during the university admission process after completing the program.
Yale Young African Scholars Eligibility
- You must be at least 14 years old, and not older than 18 years old, by the application deadline (February 1, 2023) in order to be considered. Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- You must currently attend school in an African country.
- You must be a current 11th grade student (or the international equivalent).
- If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by latest May/June 2024. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2023 and no later than November/December 2024.
How To Apply As Yale Young African Scholars
The following three (3) components are required of all applicants:
- Completed application form – The application can be found online and must be filled out by the applicant. Students will be asked to complete one 500-word essay and two short responses, and must provide information on their extracurricular activities and the school that they currently attend.
- Official transcript or grade report(s) – A student transcript is an official document provided by the school and includes the applicant’s list of courses and grades received. Students must upload their official transcript or grade report(s) for each year of secondary school. National exam scores, if available, should also be submitted but are not required. If a student has changed secondary schools at any point, they must include records both from their previous AND their current school. Please refrain from uploading certificates or transcripts from primary school.
- One (1) teacher recommendation – The recommendation must be filled out via the Online Recommendation Form that will be sent to a teacher’s email after the student provides their contact details. An email will be sent with a link to the Form and instructions on how to fill it out. The recommendation must be written and submitted by a teacher who knows the student well. Recommendations from parents/guardians, siblings, relatives, family friends, and/or paid private tutors/counselors will NOT be accepted.
Yale Young African Scholars Application Deadline
Yale Young African Scholars Application Deadline: February 1, 2023