2023 Youth Ambassadors Programme for High School Students (Fully-funded)
Applications are open for the Youth Ambassadors Programme 2023. The Youth Ambassadors Programme is a leadership exchange programme for high school students and adult mentors from countries across the Western Hemisphere.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
The programme provides full scholarships for participants to take part in cultural and educational programming focused on a variety of themes specific to the different countries. The programme aims to develop a cadre of young adults throughout the Americas who have a strong sense of civic responsibility, a commitment to their communities, an awareness of current and global issues, and strong interpersonal leadership skills. The programme aims to promote mutual understanding, respect, and collaboration between people in the United States and other countries of the region.
Youth Ambassadors is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and is administered by World Learning. Exchanges are implemented by World Learning, Amigos de las Americas and Georgetown University CIED.
- There is no application fee for applicants.
- The U.S. Government will pay for international transportation to and from the United States, orientations, programme and visa fees and administration, site visits and seminars, lodging and meals, some cultural activities, educational materials, and accident and sickness insurance while abroad. Participants will stay with volunteer host families and in youth conference centers.
- Participants are responsible for expenses related to the application process (copying, mailing, photographs, etc.), passport fees, vaccination fees (if applicable) and spending money for souvenirs and other items in the United States or in your exchange country.
Eligibility for Youth Ambassadors Programme
- Open to high school students and adult mentors from countries across the Western Hemisphere.
- Participating countries include: Antigua & Barbuda, Argentina, the Bahamas, Belize, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Lucia, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad & Tobago, the United States, Uruguay and Venezuela.
Students will be evaluated on the following factors:
- a demonstrated interest in and commitment to volunteer and civic activities
- ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and tolerate the opinions of others
- leadership potential
- good social and communication skills
- good academic performance
- an energetic, positive attitude
- ability to implement projects that benefit the applicant’s school and/or community
Adult applicants will be evaluated on the following factors:
- a demonstrated interest in and commitment to service in their local regions
- demonstrated history of supporting youth activities
- strong record in teaching and/or youth programs
- demonstrated leadership ability
- ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups of students and peers and tolerate the opinions of others
- commitment to working with youth after the project to help them implement projects
How To Apply
You will need the following to apply:
- One photo of yourself
- Most recent academic record
- Copy of valid passport if possible (it is not mandatory to have a passport to apply to the programme)
- If selected, you will need a passport for the programme that is valid for 6-months following the exchange (Ex: your exchange takes place in March, your passport should be valid through September). If you do not already have a passport, they strongly suggest that you apply for a passport upon notification of being a Semi-Finalist.
- Parental consent form
- Letters of Recommendation for United States based applicants (U.S. citizens going TO countries in the Caribbean and South America) You are NOT required to submit letters of recommendation to complete your application. Letters of recommendation may be requested later in the process. They will notify you if you have been selected as a semi-finalist to be interviewed and they will then request two letters of recommendation (the recommendation forms are noted below). However, there is absolutely no need to attach them to the application at this time.
- Letters of Recommendation for applicants of Youth Ambassadors FROM Countries in the Caribbean, Canada, and South America (Non-U.S. Citizens going to the United States) You are NOT required to submit letters of recommendation to complete your application. Letters of recommendation may be requested later in the process. They will notify you if you have been selected to be interviewed and they will then request letters of recommendation, there is absolutely no need to attach them to the application at this time.
For more information, visit Youth Ambassadors Programme.
The Application Deadline varies by country