Apply For 2022 American University Human Rights Essay Competition for Lawyers
Open to: International Students
Login / Register
The Human Rights Essay Award is an annual competition sponsored by the Academy at American University that seeks to stimulate the production of scholarly work in international human rights law.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
The Academy on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law at American University Washington College of Law is proud to request the submission of papers for the Human Rights Essay Award.
2022 TOPIC: CLIMATE CHANGE AND HUMAN RIGHTS: IMPACTS, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND OPPORTUNITIES
American University is a student-centred research institution located in Washington, DC, with highly-ranked schools and colleges, internationally-renowned faculty, and a reputation for creating meaningful change in the world.
Our students distinguish themselves for their service, leadership, and ability to rethink global and domestic challenges and opportunities.
To be considered for the competition, you must take note:
- This award is open to all lawyers around the world regardless of their nationality!
- ONLY participants with a law degree Juris Doctor, (J.D.), Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) o equivalent by the submission due date are eligible to enter the competition.
- Shall have a demonstrated experience or interest in international human rights law.
- Have the flexibility to choose any subject related to the 2022 topic: ¨Climate Change and Human Rights: Impacts, Responsibilities, and Opportunities. ¨
- Shall remember the essay must be an academic article with proper citations.
Duration and Reward
- A full scholarship to the Program of Advanced Studies on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law for either the Diploma or Certificate of Attendance options
- Travel expenses to and from Washington D.C*
- Housing at the university dorms
- Per diem for living expenses
- The best articles may also be published in the American University International Law Review
*In 2021 the Program of Advanced Studies in Human Rights and Humanitarian Law was held virtually due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. The Academy reserves the right to determine if the 2022 Program will be held virtually.
How To Apply
Essays must be submitted using the online submission form. No emailed entries will be accepted.
The Academy will confirm via e-mail the receipt of all articles submitted. If you do not receive a confirmation within 48 business hours of sending a submission, please contact us to ensure that we received it.
Winners Announcement: April 1st, 2022. (Website)