Apply For 2022 Drue Heinz Literature Prize
The Drue Heinz Literature Prize recognizes and supports writers of short fiction and makes their work available to readers around the world. The award is open to authors who have published a book-length collection of fiction or at least three short stories or novellas in commercial magazines or literary journals.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
Manuscripts are judged anonymously by nationally known writers. Past judges have included Robert Penn Warren, Joyce Carol Oates, Raymond Carver, Margaret Atwood, Russell Banks, Rick Moody, and Joan Didion.
Winners receive a cash prize of $15,000, publication by the University of Pittsburgh Press, and support in the nationwide promotion of their book.
Eligibility Criteria For 2022 Drue Heinz Literature Prize
- The award is open to writers who have published a novel or a book-length collection of fiction with a reputable book publisher, or a minimum of three short stories or novellas in magazines or journals of national distribution. Digital-only publication and self-publication do not count toward this requirement.
- The award is open to writers in English, whether or not they are citizens of the United States.
- Current University of Pittsburgh employees and students, and former employees and students affiliated with the University within the last three years, are not eligible for the award.
- Translations are not eligible if the translation was not done by the author.
- Eligible submissions include an unpublished manuscript of short stories; two or more novellas (a novella may comprise a maximum of 130 double-spaced typed pages); or a combination of one or more novellas and short stories. Novellas are only accepted as part of a larger collection. Manuscripts may be no fewer than 150 and no more than 300 pages. Prior publication of your manuscript as a whole in any format (including electronic) makes it ineligible.
- Stories or novellas previously published in magazines or journals or in book form as part of an anthology are eligible.
- Manuscripts may also be under consideration by other publishers, but if a manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere and you wish to accept this offer, please notify the Press immediately. Manuscripts under contract elsewhere are no longer eligible for the Prize.
- Authors may submit more than one manuscript to the competition as long as one manuscript or a portion thereof does not duplicate material submitted in another manuscript.
How To Apply
Submittable contest site
- During the submission period (May 1 – June 30) simply click the link above. You’ll be taken to our secure submittable.com web page where you’ll find easy-to-follow instructions:
- Manuscripts must be double-spaced and pages must be numbered consecutively.
- Each submission must include a list of all of the writer’s published short fiction work, with full citations. You will be given an opportunity to enter this information into a field in Submittable.
- Manuscripts will be judged anonymously. Therefore, the author’s name, other identifying information, and publication information must not appear within the manuscript. Only your uploaded manuscript is visible to the judges.
If you have any questions about these guidelines, please send a mail to this address.
The Submission Deadline is 30th June 2022.