Apply For 2022 Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP) Edition
Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP) is an initiative of Poets in Nigeria (PIN) aimed at stimulating literary creativity and encouraging critical thinking among Nigerian undergraduates. Since its inception in 2016 at the University of Ibadan, the prize has received about 3500 entries from students representing over 100 tertiary institutions (including universities, polytechnics, colleges of education, schools of nursing, and seminary schools).
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
Reputed as the foremost poetry prize for Nigerian students, the NSPP has awarded 2 million Naira to winning entrants and published 541 poems authored by selected entrants in six anthologies: The Sun Will Rise Again (2016), Mixed History (2017), Deep Dreams (2018, Micah (2019), The House That Built Me (2020) and Portrait of Water (2021).
Notably, tertiary institutions such as the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Godfrey Okoye University, Enugu and Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Yenagoa hosted the NSPP Awards in 2017, 2018 and 2019 respectively. In 2021, the awards ceremony was held at the University of Ibadan, with a cash prize of N400,000 shared among the winning entrants.
Aside rewarding the prize winners with a total cash prize of ₦500,000, exceptional entrants will each receive a certificate of excellence and a complimentary copy of the NSPP anthology which features their works.
1st Prize – ₦200,000
2nd Prize – ₦150,000
3rd Prize – ₦75,000
Consolation Prize – ₦25,000 each for 4th, 5th, and 6th best entrants
Previous grand prize winners of the NSPP include Noah Oladele (Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife; 2016), Bakre Fadil Adedamola (University of Ibadan; 2017), Godstime Tamunofiri Iberiyenari (Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Yenagoa; 2018), Ogugua Micah Okoye (Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu; 2019), Okwubi Godwin Adah (University of Benin; 2020) and Samuel A. Adeyemi (Federal University, Lokoja; 2021).
The seventh edition of the Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP) opens for submission between 15th January and 7th March 2022. Taking note of the deadline, interested Nigerian undergraduates are expected to submit a 30-line poem on any theme of their choice.
- Open to all Nigerian undergraduates studying in Nigeria and the diaspora.
- Entrants must be from a recognized tertiary institution.
Guidelines on How To Submit
- Submissions are to be made using the link below, with strict adherence to the instructions thereon.
- Entrants should write on any theme of their choice while considering its topicality.
- Entrants must give unique titles to their works
- Indicate the theme selected beneath your work
- Poems must be the original intellectual property of the entrants.
- An entrant is entitled to a single entry of 30 lines maximum.
- Entries submitted must be previously unpublished. A submission discovered to have defaulted on this rule will be automatically voided.
- All entrants are expected to purchase a minimum of one of the six NSPP anthologies uploaded on the submission portal.
- Under no condition will the judges’ decision be challenged.
- Entering for the contest gives PIN the automatic right to make use of entries as deemed appropriate.
- Entries must be written in English. Native terminologies must be translated into English as footnotes.
- Entrants should subscribe to the official webpage for regular updates.
The Application Deadline is 7th March 2022.