Cardinal Rule Press is a respected children’s picture book publisher. They are only open to submissions during certain times of the year. Their current submission window opened on January 1st and will be open till February 1st 2022.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
The work they publish hopes to empower children by telling meaningful stories aimed at 4-11-year-olds. They publish realistic fiction which they describe as “a genre made up of stories that could happen in our world and society.”
That means they only consider work where characters are human beings that are living in places that could be real, or are in fact real. Magic does not exist in realistic fiction. You can see work they’ve previously published here.
They consider manuscripts up to 1,000 words in length.
They also publish non-fiction books for parents and educators, which can be up to 70,000 words in length. Submissions are limited to one manuscript per person, per submission period.
Do not query. They will respond within 4-6 weeks of the submission period closing.
They only accept emailed submissions.
Please note: Only submissions sent through the method listed in these guidelines will be considered. We do not accept illustrator submissions at this time.
- Children’s realistic fiction picture books (word count up to 1,000)
- Realistic Fiction is a genre made up of stories that could happen in our world and society. A quick way to determine whether or not your story is realistic fiction:
- Characters live in places that could be or are real
- Characters are human beings
- Characters are not animals
- There is no magic in realistic fiction
Online submissions only
- To submit click here.
- Please attach the complete manuscript saved as TITLE_LAST NAME
- You will see a confirmation page from Google Forms when you submit. Please note that you will not receive an email confirmation for your submission.
- Due to the volume of submissions, we will only be responding to manuscripts we are interested in pursuing
Online Submission Instructions
Cover letter (query):
The cover letter should be attached. It should include:
- A brief description of the story.
- Short bio of the author, mentioning publishing history or relevant background information.
- Two to three sentences tell us the inspiration for your story.
- A listing of three comparative picture books published in the last five years and a few sentences describing how your book is different.
- Contact information
- Saved TITLE_COVER_LAST NAME
- Should be attached as a WORD document, Google Doc, or PDF file.
- Manuscripts should be typed double-spaced.
- Manuscripts should be saved TITLE_LAST NAME
How To Apply
They only accept emailed submissions. applicants should click here to submit.
- Call or email about the status of your submission.
- Include artwork or photographs along with your manuscript.