Exclusive Programme for Journalists: CiFAR’s fifth investigative journalism programme 2023 for mid-career journalist.
CiFAR is a civil society organization committed to fighting the flow of corrupt wealth by political leaders across borders and securing the return of any stolen money to the victims of grand corruption. For the CiFAR’s fifth investigative journalism programme, we work closely with civil society organizations and investigative journalists worldwide to investigate, expose, and secure the return of dark money.
The fifth installment of “Investigate: East and Southern Africa” will be held by CIFAR. We want to help English-speaking journalists from East and Southern Africa and Europe make more in-depth and cross-regional stories than ever before. Applicants can come from either region.
Investigative Journalism is increasingly important in exposing these schemes and pushing governments and prosecutors to act upon cases in asset-originating and destination countries. CiFAR is committed to strengthening financial investigative journalism and collaborating with journalists across the globe to do exactly this.
Benefits of this program
You will spend five days learning and improving your investigative journalism skills, with a focus on financial crimes committed by public officials. The training will take place online.
After that, we’ll hold an investigative journalism programme camp to keep training people and make it easier for them to plan cross-border stories. Teams will be able to make pitches for small amounts of money to help them work on their stories. We will help you develop your stories and pitch them to independent media along with senior journalists from the region and around the world.
What we offer
1. Five days of the intensive online training program with expert trainers throughout Spring 2023 covering:
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more scholarships and other opportunities
Join our Telegram Group here.
- Financial crime and cross-border corruption
- Anti-corruption and asset recovery legal and policy frameworks
- Reading financial documents
- Asset recovery
- Investigative journalism 101
- Specificities of investigating the financial crime by public figures
- Story-telling techniques
- Online databases and digital tools
- Safety and security in investigations
2. Participation in a four-day investigative journalism camp in Nairobi in May 2023
3. Remote Mentoring by CiFAR and international and local senior journalists to develop your story with your peers
4. Limited grants to conduct and publish your cross-border story with peer trainees and mentors
5. Support to conduct further investigations in the future and attend international investigative journalism events relevant to your career development.
Requirements of this investigative journalism programme are:
- An early to mid-career journalist (3-10 years experience)
- Excited to move into or expand your experience in financial investigative work
- National or resident of Kenya, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Uganda, Mozambique, Malawi, South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Angola, Madagascar, DRC Congo; EU, the UK, or Switzerland
- Committed to working on exposing grand corruption and illicit financial flows from your country, flows of corrupt wealth into your country, and on the processes for recovering stolen wealth
- Interested in working as part of a cross-border team with others like you
- Able to commit to a 5 day online workshop in late April 2023, as well as a 4-days work camp in Nairobi in late May 2023
- Commitment to dedicate time and energy to a story with your peers after the training phase and to bring a joint story to publication by October 2023
- You speak and understand English to a working level.
This program also covers:
- All training costs
- Participation in the regional workshop in East Africa: return flight, visa fees, accommodation costs, local travel, meals and COVID-19-related costs
- Limited grants for team story development
How to Apply
All you need to do is click the application link below:
The application deadline for this program is 26 March 2023
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless verified by you.
Kindly share this opportunity with Journalists and others. Thank you.