Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS) Writing Fellowships for emerging African creative writers (Funded)
The Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS) invites applications from emerging African creative writers for its Second Annual Writers’ Workshop.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
From 1 August to 31 October 2023, JIAS will host a group of promising African creative writers. The workshop will be a writing-intensive, three-month program for early career writers who have a current work in progress that they would like to complete or polish. Each writer will focus on her/his/their individual work as well as read others’ work and provide feedback. Writers will greatly benefit from the supportive structure that a writers’ workshop create.
Requirements for Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS) Writing Fellowships
- The JIAS Writers’ Workshop is open to African writers who work in Fiction (long and short form), Creative Non-Fiction, Playwriting, Screenwriting, and Poetry. Workshop participants will be mentored by accomplished, critically-acclaimed, and award-winning writers.
- This is a great opportunity for novice writers to learn from established writers who are masters of their craft. Participants in the workshop will also be able to take advantage of and benefit from the vitality and diversity that a dynamic city like Johannesburg has to offer.
- There is no application fee and participation in the workshop is free
- Each Writers’ Workshop Participant will receive:
- Accommodation at JIAS private residence.
- Daily breakfast, lunch and stipend.
- An intensive and immersive creative experience.
- Mentorship from established and highly accomplished writers.
How to Apply:
- To apply please submit the following required materials:
- A completed application form
- A copy of your passport ID page
- A creative writing CV
- A one-page creative writing project proposal
- A writing sample: Playwrighting and Screenwriting (First 10 Pages of Script); Fiction and Creative Non-Fiction (5-10 pages); Poetry (3-5 Poems)
For More Information:
The Application Deadline is 1st February 2023