Mastercard Foundation 2023 Scholarship Program at the University of Cape Town
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UCT provides full-cost scholarships to young Africans who are first-time undergraduate or postgraduate (honours and master’s) degree-seeking applicants. The scholarships ensure a premium educational package that will produce graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognized and locally applicable, and whose transition into the workforce is underpinned by values of engaged citizenship and social justice.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
These scholarships cover the full period of study and are renewable annually subject to satisfactory performance and participation in the activities and opportunities offered by the programme. Successful candidates will be required to commit themselves to returning to their home countries and to invest their gained skills and education in their country’s social and economic growth.
Requirements and Qualifications for Mastercard Foundation/University of Cape Town Scholarship Program
- Academically talented – value learning and are driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged – facing significant financial barriers to completing their education.
- Committed to giving back – investing in their communities, using the skills and knowledge that they have acquired.
- Future leaders – committed to embracing ethical leadership and making a positive change in their home communities.
Benefits of Mastercard Foundation/University of Cape Town Scholarship Program
- Comprehensive financial assistance with visa applications, travel, tuition, living expenses, medical aid and accommodation.
- A relevant and recognised education through academic curricula aimed at producing graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognised and locally applicable.
- Academic and peer mentor support – to ensure that each Scholar successfully progresses academically.
- An array of cultural and transition support and training aimed at academic and professional enrichment and assisting in the challenges facing university going students.
- Career and internship opportunities in Africa, service learning, experiential learning – career guidance and support for transition to further study or the workforce.
- Leadership development and training.
- Alumni networks for further support.
How to Apply
UCT opens its annual call for applications to the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program between July and September. Apply for your place from July each year.
Note that application to the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program is not the same as an academic application for UCT. Prospective scholars are advised to submit an academic application to UCT first, and then apply for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program.
For more details,visit Mastercard Foundation website