MIASA Tandem Residential Fellowship Program for African Researchers 2022
The Maria Sibylla Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) is dedicated to research in the Humanities and Social Sciences, with ‘Sustainable Governance’ as its central topic. Our main thematic corridors are conflict and sustainable peace, democracy and environmental transformation. We are also interested in a wide range of intersectional sub-topics, such as landownership and acquisition, migration and mobility, restitution of cultural objects, African cities, human rights and related themes. MIASA is committed to reduce global asymmetries in knowledge production, to promote female scholarship and to bridge cultural divides. The institute offers time and space for supporting innovative academic projects of top international quality. MIASA serves as a hub for exchange, networking and collaboration amongst leading researchers from Germany, Ghana, Africa, Europe and elsewhere in the world. The institute is located on the beautiful campus of the University of Ghana (UG) at Legon (Accra), and has been implemented in collaboration with four German partners – the University of Freiburg, the Goethe University of Frankfurt, the German Institute for Global and Area Studies (GIGA) and the German Historical Institute Paris (GHIP). It is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research with co-funding of the University of Ghana.
Requirements and Qualifications for MIASA Tandem Residential Fellowship Program
- The call is open to scholars (both on junior and senior levels) who have been awarded their doctoral degree at least three months before the start of the fellowship.
- Projects can be at conceptional stage, mid-term phase or final stage (analyzing data, writing up findings).
- Fellowships are residential with only shorter absences possible and with only limited funds to support activities such as field work trips.
- The selection is made by MIASA’s distinguished international Academic Advisory Board.
- In a strictly merit-based selection process, tandem fellowships are awarded to researchers of top academic quality with an innovative research topic of high quality. The all-important selection criteria are the academic excellence of the applicants and the fellowship proposal. MIASA is committed to inclusion, gender equality, and family friendliness. The MIASA fellowship programme thus aims for gender parity and promotes affirmative action policies
Aim and Benefits of MIASA Tandem Residential Fellowship Program
- The successful applicants become MIASA fellows with all the corresponding rights and obligations for the requested funding period.
- For fellows affiliated with a home institution the fellows’ salary or teaching substitution costs are met by MIASA for every full fellowship month on the principle of “no loss, no gain,” and paid directly to his/her home institution.
- In cases where this is not possible an individual grant based on the candidate’s salary at his/her home institution can be offered.
- Fellows may be eligible for a post adjustment to compensate for the difference in the cost of living based on a case-by-case justification.
- Fellows without employment receive an individual monthly grant.
- For fellows from outside Accra, MIASA provides accommodation (or an equivalent accommodation allowance of up to 1500€/month) and reimburses travel costs. In addition, a contribution to support research undertaken at MIASA can be granted to all MIASA fellows upon application to MIASA directors (max. 250€ per fellow per month).
- MIASA fellows who come with family members to Accra can receive a family allowance.
- Fellowships are funded by the German Federal Ministry for Education and Research via the University of Freiburg/FRIAS.
- The Institute provides its fellows with office space on the University of Ghana campus.
- Fellows have full access to all library services at the University of Ghana and, electronically, at the University of Freiburg, Germany.
- For fellows from francophone and lusophone Africa MIASA can offer funding for courses in advanced academic English during the fellowship at the University of Ghana.
Documents Required for Application
Applications must include the following information:
- Front page with general information on the applicant (max. 2 pages):
- Title, name (last, first), e-mail address, link to webpage.*
- Date of doctorate.*
- Current position/affiliation, institution and business address (name of institution/ city/ country).*
- Research field.*
- Title of joint tandem fellowship project.
- Abstract of the joint tandem fellowship project (max. 150 words).
- Dates for the joint tandem fellowship at MIASA for which you apply.
- The two most important reasons why you apply for a residential fellowship at MIASA.
* This information has to be provided for both fellows.
2.Project proposal (max. 5 pages):
- Project title (max. 50 characters)
- Abstract of the fellowship project (150 words)
- Aims, theoretical framework and methodology of the project.
- Work and time plan (note: the fellowship only offers a max. of 250€/month research costs for each of the two tandem fellows and requires being present at MIASA).
- Innovative potential, originality and relevance of the project.
- Added value of spending time at MIASA and the University of Ghana as well as of conducting a research project as a tandem team.
- Bibliographical references (max. 1 page in addition to the 5 pages of the proposal).
- CV in tabular form (max. 2 pages for each candidate).
3.Publication list highlighting the most important publications (max. 2 pages for each candidate).
Please note: no cover letter is required, but a front page
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted in English and French. The completed application form together with the information indicated below have to be uploaded on the application webpage (https://www.frias.uni-freiburg.de/miasa-tandem-fellowship). After submission of the documents, applicants receive an acknowledgement of receipt providing contact details and including a copy of their submission. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
For more details,visit MIASA website
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
- How to Win Undergraduate Scholarships in Nigeria
- Study Loan Sources for International Students
- Free IELTS Study Materials | Download for offline use
- How to Live and Study in UK for International Students
- How to Live and Study in USA for International Students
- Prepare yourself with Recruitment, Interview & Aptitude Tests.