Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling (US$5,000 reporting grant & Internship in UK)
The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ), the ONE Campaign, and the Elliott family are happy to announce a call for entries for the Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling.
The award honors up-and-coming journalists in Africa who strive to strengthen people’s voices and illuminate the transformational change taking place on the continent. The award entries must represent groundbreaking journalistic work published between December 1, 2021, and December 1, 2022. Winners will be selected on the quality of their articles and the impact their work has had on communities. ICFJ welcome excellent submissions in all media, especially those that demonstrate analytical skills in addition to outstanding writing ability.
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more scholarships and other opportunitiesJoin our Telegram Community.
Eligibility Requirement for Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling
- The contest is open to English-speaking journalists working in Africa for print, broadcast, and online news media. Applicants must have no more than 10 years of journalism experience.
- Applicants must submit one published piece that exemplifies Africa through thoughtful reporting and excellent storytelling. ICFJ/ONE are looking for impactful investigative or explanatory pieces, especially those illuminating transformational change in Africa.
- A copy of the published story or broadcast clip must be submitted in English. Works in other languages must include English translations. We welcome submissions from print, broadcast, or digital journalists. Multimedia submissions may include web, audio, video, visual, or mixed media.
- The submitted story must be published between December 1, 2021, and December 1, 2022.
- The winners will receive a $5,000 cash prize and a personalized crystal award.
- The winners will have an opportunity to spend up to two weeks at The Economist headquarters in London, or to complete a tailored study tour of US newsrooms.
- A distinguished international jury including media leaders from the US, UK, and Africa will select the winners. We will reach out to all applicants to notify them of their status by the spring of 202
The Application Deadline is 31st January 2023
Documents & Guides
Below are relevant document samples and guides that will aid your application.share, rate and Join us for More.
Subscribe here for weekly newsletters.