Study-In-Canada: 2022 University of British Columbia Global South Scholar Programme
The University of British Columbia Global South Scholar Programme is now receiving applications from interested and qualified scholars in all Global South Countries of the world. The programme is a fully-funded fellowship providing visiting scholars with $15,000 for travel, accommodation, and honorarium expenses.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
As part of their visit, the Global South Visiting Scholars are expected to give lectures, hold sessions with faculty and graduate students, and conduct independent research.
The Peter A. Allard School of Law at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, seeks to host an exceptional scholar from the Global South for a short-term, fully funded visiting scholar-in-residence program.
The goal of this program is to support and expand the research strengths of the Law School in the area noted above, and to foster academic exchange and new research directions among Allard faculty members and international partners. The program also seeks to contribute to and strengthen the resources of international partners.
To be considered for the fellowship, you must:
- Be a from a Global South Country
- be an early to mid-career scholar with a demonstrated commitment to research and/or legal work in the area of resource extraction and/or land grabs, with a particular focus on the rights of Indigenous peoples and local communities.
- be a currently appointed faculty at institutions located in the Global South.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The successful Global South Visiting Scholar (GSVS) will spend a minimum of two weeks and maximum of one term in residence
- The GSVS will receive funding for travel to Vancouver and accommodation not exceeding $5,000 CAD, and an honorarium of approximately $10,000 CAD.
- The total amount of funding will be assessed in relation to the duration of the stay in residence. Visiting scholars will have shared access to an office space at the law school, library privileges, and will have a faculty host for the visit.
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Completed application form (attached, pages 3 and 4).
- Curriculum vitae.
- A cover letter that describes the candidate’s scholarly record and objectives in visiting the Allard School of Law
- The names and contact information of the two referees.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are to submit completed applications in PDF by email no later than June 30, 2022, to:
Global South Visiting Scholars Program c/o Janice DeSouza-Vas
Administrative Assistant, Visiting Scholars Program,
Peter A. Allard School of Law,
The University of British Columbia,
Questions about the program or application requirements should be directed by e-mail to