Study In Czech Republic: 2022 Czech Government Scholarships for Developing Countries
The Government of the Czech Republic offers scholarships within the framework of its Foreign Development Assistance in support of studying foreign nationals from developing countries listed below at public institutions of higher education in the Czech Republic.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
Granting scholarships to citizens from developing countries listed below for studies at Czech public higher education institutions (referred to as “universities”) is an important part of the foreign development cooperation of the Czech Republic and has a long tradition.
From the late 1950s to the present day over 20 000 foreign nationals have completed their studies at Czech universities with a scholarship of the Government of the Czech Republic.
Government scholarships for studies at universities in the Czech Republic are governed by a Resolution of the Government of the Czech Republic No. 77 as of 28th January 2019 as part of a joint foreign development cooperation program pursued by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, implemented in cooperation with the Ministry of Health.
These so-called Government Scholarships are designed to cover the standard length of study:
- in Follow-up Master study programmes plus a one-year-long preparatory course of the Czech language (which is combined with other field-specific training). Government scholarships of this category are awarded to graduates of Bachelor’s degree programmes. They can enrol only in study programmes from the selected areas of study in which instruction is given in the Czech language. Depending on the subject area, applicants are normally required to sit entrance examinations at the university concerned. Successful passing of entrance examinations constitutes a precondition for a scholarship award;
- in Follow-up Master study programmes or Doctoral study programmes. Government scholarships of this category are awarded to graduates from Bachelor or Master study programmes, respectively, who enrol in study programmes with instruction in the English language.
Scholarships for the academic year 2023/2024 are offered only to the citizens of the following countries:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina,
- and Zambia.
The scholarships are dedicated solely to promoting the studies of foreign nationals from developing third countries. Neither a citizen of the Czech Republic, nor a citizen of the European Union, nor any other foreign national with a permanent residence permit in the territory of the Czech Republic may, therefore, apply for a scholarship.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The scholarship covers the necessary costs related to staying and studying in the Czech Republic. The scholarship amount is regularly amended.
- Currently the amount paid to students on a Bachelor’s, Master’s or follow-up Master’s study programme stands at CZK 14,000 per month
- Whereas the amount paid to students of a Doctoral study programme stands at CZK 15,000 per month.
The above scholarship amounts include an amount designated for the payment of accommodation costs. Costs of accommodation, food and public transport are covered by scholarship holders from the scholarship under the same conditions that apply to students who are citizens of the Czech Republic. Should health services exceeding standard care be required by the student, s/he shall cover them at his/her own cost.
How To Apply
Each applicant is obliged to fill in an electronic application form at the latest by 30 September 2022. The successful applicant starts studying in the academic year 2023/2024.
Detailed information on the terms and conditions of scholarship awards is provided in the binding “Guidelines for Granting Scholarships of the Government of the Czech Republic”, issued in Czech and English.