The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme was launched in 2013 by the Hungarian Government and is coordinated by Tempus Public Foundation since 2015. The programme is based on bilateral educational cooperation agreements signed between the Ministries responsible for education in the sending countries/territories and Hungary or between institutions.
Currently, more than 70 Sending Partners are engaged in the programme on 5 different continents, and the geographical scope of the programme is spreading each year.
The scholarship scheme aims to satisfy the growing demand of international students to study in Hungary, producing increasing numbers since the launch of the programme, and also supporting the overall internationalization of Hungarian higher education.
Since 2013, the number of Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship holders has grown significantly, at the same time increasing the ratio of self-paying international students in Hungarian universities.
Between 2013 and 2019, the ratio of international students studying in Hungarian higher education institutions has doubled, and the ratio of Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship holders among them has quadrupled.
As a result, the number of study programmes taught in a foreign language(s) has tripled in Hungarian universities since 2015. The number of both Stipendium Hungaricum applicants and awardees is continuously increasing, as well as the number of available scholarship places.
In 2020, more than 35 0000 applications were received and more than 5000 scholarships were awarded, showing that since its launch, the Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship has become a programme of excellence.
The Stipendium Hungaricum Programme is based on effective bilateral educational cooperation agreements between the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade or its legal predecessor as regards the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme, the Ministry of Human Capacities, and the partner’s Ministry responsible for higher education.
Applications will be considered eligible only if the applicant is nominated by the responsible authorities of the Sending Partner.
For full time programmes, students can apply from the following Sending Partners: Arab Republic of Egypt, Argentine Republic, Bosnia and Herzegovina, , Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Federative Republic of Brazil, Georgia, Islamic Republic of Iran, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Japan, Kingdom of Cambodia, Kingdom of Morocco, Kingdom of Thailand, Kurdistan Regional Government/Iraq, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lebanese Republic, , Malaysia, Mongolia, Montenegro, Oriental Republic of the Uruguay, Pacific Alliance (member states: Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Peru), State of Palestine, Panama, People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, People’s Republic of Bangladesh, People’s Republic of China (including the Hudec scholarships), Republic of Albania, Republic of Angola, Republic of Azerbaijan, Republic of Belarus, Republic of Cabo Verde, Republic of Chile, Republic of Colombia, Republic of Costa Rica, Republic of Cuba, Republic of Ecuador, Republic of Ghana, Republic of India, Republic of Indonesia, Republic of Iraq, Republic of Kazakhstan, Republic of Kenya, Republic of Korea, Republic of Kosovo, Republic of Moldova, Republic of Namibia, Republic of North Macedonia, Republic of Paraguay, Republic of Rwanda, Republic of Serbia, Republic of Singapore, Republic of South Africa, Republic of the Sudan, Republic of the Philippines, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Republic of Tajikistan, Republic of Turkey, Republic of Uganda, Republic of Uzbekistan, Republic of Yemen, Russian Federation, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, State of Eritrea, State of Israel, State of Kuwait, Syrian Arab Republic, The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Tunisian Republic, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Mexican States, United Republic of Tanzania.
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more scholarships and other opportunities
Join our Telegram Group here.
For partial (exchange) study programmes, students can apply from the following Sending Partners: the Republic of Costa Rica, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Georgia, Federative Republic of Brazil, Japan, Kingdom of Cambodia, Kingdom of Morocco, Lebanese Republic, , Mongolia, People’s Republic of China (only Hudec applicants), Republic of Albania, Republic of Belarus, Republic of Chile, Republic of Ghana, Republic of India, Republic of Indonesia, Republic of Korea, Republic of Moldova, Republic of North Macedonia, Republic of Rwanda, Republic of Singapore, Republic of Turkey, Republic of Uganda, Republic of Uzbekistan, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, Russian Federation, Syrian Arab Republic, United Mexican States, State of Israel, Republic of Yemen Please note that the programme is implemented through direct cooperation with the responsible authorities of the Sending Partner. The application does not have any additional costs, therefore we highly suggest you not to apply through any agencies. However, to find the list of agencies that the Hungarian universities work with, please click here to check; the list is updated regularly.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- Tuition-free education – exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend – non-degree, bachelor’s, master’s and one-tier master’s level: monthly amount of HUF 43,700 (cca EUR 120) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies
- Accommodation contribution – free dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40,000/month to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period (Please note that if the student does not live in the dormitory, the HUF 40,000/month is a contribution to that rental costs, and in bigger cities – especially in the capital city – this contribution would not cover the full amount of rental costs.)
- Medical insurance – health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act LXXX of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 100,000 (cca EUR 275) a year/person Please bear in mind that these provisions are only a contribution to the living expenses of the Scholarship Holders. It means that it does not fully cover all the costs of living and the students need to add their own financial resources in order to cover all living expenses in Hungary.
- All applicants are highly advised to check the expected living expenses both in Hungary and in the city that they wish to live in before applying; please do check our Cost of Living Calculator by clicking here
Duration of Scholarship: Duration of candidate’s chosen program:
- Master programmes: Fulltime: 1.5-2 years. Partial: 1 or 2 semesters
- One-tier master programmes: Fulltime: 5-6 years Partial: 1 or 2 semesters
- Doctoral programmes: Fulltime: 2+2 years Partial: 1 or 2 semesters
- Non-degree programmes:
- Preparatory course in the Hungarian language: 1 year
- Other preparatory and specialisation courses: up to 1 year
Applications will not be considered in the following cases:
- Hungarian citizens (including those with dual citizenships)
- former Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Holders, who are re-applying for studies in the same cycle of education (non-degree studies, bachelor, master, doctoral level) including both full time and partial study programmes
How To Apply
All applications shall also be submitted to the responsible authority of the Sending Partner. Each Sending Partner might have different deadlines and requirements for submitting the application material.
Applicants are strongly advised to contact the responsible authority at their Sending Partner as soon as possible and inquire about the exact procedures.
For contact details of the responsible authority of the Sending Partner, please visit the link below.
The responsible authority of the Sending Partner will review and pre-select the applications. A nomination list, including a reserve list, will be forwarded to Tempus Public Foundation by the Sending Partner until the end of February 2021.
Applications will be considered only if the applicant is nominated. No other applications will be considered.
If you are interested, please proceed to apply here.
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless verified by you.