Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LExS) is for excellent students joining a full-time Leiden University Master’s degree programme – with the exception of LLM (non-advanced) and MSc programmes at Leiden Law School.
Please note that the application for a Leiden Excellence Scholarship for study programmes starting on September 1st in 2023 will open at the beginning of November 2022.
Scholarships are available for the following faculties
- Archaeology, Humanities,
- Governance and Global Affairs,
- Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science,
- African Studies Centre,
- International Institute for Asian Studies
1. Study programme requirements
Applicants for all Master’s programme at Leiden University – with the exception of LLM (non-advanced) and MSc programmes at Leiden Law School.
2. Students must have achieved excellent academic results in their previous study programme(s), which must be relevant to the Master’s programme for which they are applying. As an indication, the student is amongst the top 10% of graduates in his/her previous study programme. Note that proof of ranking is not required – this information is purely to indicate the level of competitiveness
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more scholarships and other opportunities
Join our Telegram Group here.
Applicants must have a non-EEA/non-EFTA* passport and may not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (Studiefinanciering) – with the exceptions of students applying for the programmes listed below, for which no nationality restrictions apply:
- All LLM Advanced Studies programmes
- MSc in International Relations and Diplomacy
See the special note for UK students** above.
The following nationalities are eligible to apply:
- Non-EEA/non-EFTA* nationals who are applying for a Master’s programme at Leiden University. See additional note for UK students below.
- Students of all nationalities applying for an LLM Advanced Studies programme, or the MSC in International Relations and Diplomacy.
*EEA/EFTA: All EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland
Additional note for UK students
As the UK is now a non-EEA country, students from the UK are now eligible to apply for the LExS. Note: this does not apply to applicants who were already living in The Netherlands and registered in their Dutch municipality’s BRP before 1 January 2021. More information on Brexit can be found in the Brexit dossier.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
The LExS is awarded for the duration of the study programme. There are three available levels of awards:
- € 10,000 of the tuition fee
- € 15,000 of the tuition fee
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
The LExS is not a full scholarship. Non-EEA LExS recipients must still submit ‘proof of sufficient funds’ for their student visa/residence permit application.
- The faculty selection committees will nominate LExS recipients and inform the Scholarships Team, up to 6 weeks after the LExS deadline.
- The Scholarships Team will notify all LExS applicants of the decisions:
– At the end of November – for the February intake.
– At the end of April – for the September intake.
How To Apply
- Apply online for admission to a Master’s programme at Leiden University and pay the application fee if applicable.
- In the scholarship section of your online application, indicate that you wish to apply for a LExS.
- Upload your LExS motivation letter as instructed in your online application. This is a PDF file of max. 500 words, in which you explain why you would like to be considered for the award.
- Submit your online application, containing your LExS application, before the LExS application deadline.
- If you apply for more than one study programme and wish to apply for a LExS for each, indicate this clearly in each application and upload a LExS motivation letter for each.
The Application Deadline is 1st February 2023
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless verified by you.