Study In Switzerland: 2022 University of Bern Scholarship for PhD Students
The University of Bern seeking applications for a 4-year PhD position in Medicinal Inorganic Chemistry in the newly established Frei Lab at the Department of Chemistry, Biochemistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of Bern. This position is funded through an SNSF Ambizione Grant.
In the Frei Lab, we are interested in exploring the potential of metal complexes as the next generation of antibiotics. This involves the synthesis and characterization of new metal compounds, the evaluation of their antimicrobial activity, and the elucidation of their mechanism of action. These lab-based experiments will be supplemented by computational and cheminformatics tools.
Your role will primarily be focused on the design, chemical synthesis, and characterization of new metal complexes with antimicrobial potential as well as their biological evaluation in bacteria. Promising compounds will be explored further through the mode of action assays and in vivo experiments (either in-house or through collaborations).
More than 20 university lecturers teach and research in our department and we offer modern training with Bachelor and Master programs in three different fields of study: “Chemistry and Molecular Sciences”, “Biochemistry and Molecular Biology” and “Pharmaceutical Sciences”.
Building on this, we offer an attractive and varied doctoral program in the fields of chemistry and biochemistry.
To be considered for the Scholarship:
- You must hold or expect to complete a Master’s (MChem, MSc or equivalent) degree in chemistry before matriculation at the University of Bern.
- You bring along an excellent study record and have an exceptional background in synthetic organic and/or inorganic chemistry.
We are looking for a highly motivated and ambitious candidate that values high scientific rigour and integrity. You should be creative, resilient, and independent.
You possess good communication and team-working skills and value a positive and diverse working environment. You should have demonstrable experience in organic and/or inorganic synthesis and standard laboratory analytical techniques such as NMR, MS, HPLC etc.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
In the up-and-coming Frei Lab, you will be part of a small team of researchers, meaning that your contributions will be integral to the group’s success.
You will be able to develop a varied skillset and have the chance to pursue and realize your own scientific ideas. As an early member, you will be able to contribute from day one to create a positive and productive working environment.
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Please submit a single PDF file containing a cover letter including a brief statement of why you are interested in this area of research as well as past research experience and achievements (max 2 pages).
- full CV (résumé),
- relevant diplomas/certificates/University transcripts,
- and the names and contact details of the two references.
How To Apply
All applications will be evaluated, and candidates will be shortlisted based on academic excellence and research potential. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in person or via video conference call.
All applications should be sent here.
⚡️We have recorded a 96% success rate on our ad packages at Latest Opportunities. You can read customers comments, check our numbers or book a package now.
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
- How to Win Undergraduate Scholarships in Nigeria
- Study Loan Sources for International Students
- Free IELTS Study Materials | Download for offline use
- How to Live and Study in UK for International Students
- How to Live and Study in USA for International Students
- Prepare yourself with Recruitment, Interview & Aptitude Tests.
You must log in to post a comment.