World in Focus is a youth-led, non-profit organization with the aim of providing people of all ages around the world more accessibility to eye care. World in Focus was founded in 2016 to raise awareness for the necessity of eyesight by fundraising money.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
World in Focus encourages youth to express their creativity on a global level, which is as a result of their aim of raising awareness surrounding vision and eye care.
The art & writing contest organized by World in Focus is open to youth within the age of 10-18 of all nationalities. Interested participants can submit their original writing or visual works following the prompts below:
- “Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but by what your mind can imagine.” -Ellison Onizuka
- “The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but not vision.”-Helen Keller
- “What we see depends mainly on what we look for.” -John Lubbock
Purpose of the World in Focus’ 5th Annual Writing and Arts Contest
The purpose of the World in Focus’ 5th Annual Writing and Arts Contest remains
- To promote awareness of vision problems individuals in developing countries may face on a daily basis.
- To encourage youth to express their creativity, individuality, and talents on a global level!
General Submission Guidelines
- Choosing ONE of the three prompts listed above as a guideline, participants must create a submission (writing and/or art) that revolves around vision.
- The deadline is November 20th, 2021, and only people aged 10-18 can participate.
- We only accept original, unpublished works.
- The contest will be split into two categories:
- Writing: Prose/Poetry
- Visual Arts: Photography/Artwork
- However, submissions including rants, essays, comics can all be submitted – as long as it’s appropriate, non-offensive and able to be published in an anthology!
- Every individual may submit up to two pieces, however, there may only be one submission in either the Writing category and one submission in the Visual Arts category.
- It is highly encouraged that you do not just answer the prompts in directly in an essay format. Incorporate the prompt into your work, whether it is a photo, a short story, or a song. Use creativity to showcase yourself!
Eligibility for Participants
You can participate in this contest if you meet the following criteria
- Aged 10 – 18 in their respective age category.
- Entries in each category will be split into two groups:
- Group 1: ages 10-14
- Group 2: ages 15-18
- 4 winners overall (first-place winner from each category) will emerge with a $100 prize each.
Eligibility for Entries
- Artwork: Only original works are to be submitted, in 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches.
- Digital Artwork: 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches preferred. No images from Google Images. High resolution – minimum of 300 dpi is required for 8 inches by 10 inches or 2400 pixels by 3000 pixels.
- Photography: High resolution – minimum of 300 dpi is required for 8 inches by 10 inches or 2400 pixels by 3000 pixels.
- Writing: Entry should be a maximum of 1000 words, in PDF format.
- For All Visual Arts: You have the liberty to include an optional 100-word rationale.
How to Submit for World in Focus’ 5th Annual Writing and Arts Contest
All finalists in the contest will have their work published in an anthology, and as stated earlier, the winner from each category will each win $100! You are advised to submit before November 20th 2021 to stand a chance.
To take part in this contest, submit your entry. For more information, you can visit the official page. Click on the user icon on top of this page to create an account for more opportunities like this.