Biomimicry Institute Youth Design Challenge 2023-2024
Applications for the Biomimicry Institute Youth Design Challenge 2023-2024 are now open. The Biomimicry Institute’s Youth Design Challenge (YDC) is a project-based learning experience that asks middle and high school teams to design bio-inspired ideas that can provide solutions to critical real-world problems. It provides a framework for formal and informal educators to introduce biomimicry as an engineering design strategy, to integrate relevant purposeful STEM experiences, and to provide engaging instruction aligned to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
Design Brief: Solutions to a Sustainable Development Goal (SDG)
Explore the wonders of the natural world and create a nature-inspired innovation* that addresses any global or local problem by:
- Helping communities solve a local challenge AND/OR Reversing/slowing the advancement of an issue that is negatively impacting the community.
What will your team do?
Your team will take on the role of innovators and work together to apply biomimicry (nature-inspired innovation) to address a social and/or environmental issue related to a chosen Sustainable Development Goal (SDG). Suggestion: work on an issue that affects your local community!
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more scholarships and other opportunitiesJoin our Telegram Community.
As a coach, you will guide your students as they study how organisms in nature have adapted to similar problems and challenges, and you will support them in applying what they learn to innovative solutions. Final projects can then be entered into the competition for prizes awarded by the Biomimicry Institute.
- Open to students in middle school (grades 6-8) and high school (grades 9-12).
- A team consists of a pair of students or a group of up to eight students and one to two adult coaches affiliated with a school, educational organization, or homeschool.
Duration and Benefits
- The YDC Awards are designed to recognize student achievement in several aspects of the design project, correlated to the Project Rubric. Winning teams will have their work featured online.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply using the button below or click this link
Deadline: 28th March, 2024
Documents & Guides
Below are relevant document samples and guides that may aid your application.
- Download CVs & Cover letters
- Download study materials
- Download career resources
- Download other materials
Begin your Application
Subscribe here for weekly newsletters.
DISCLAIMER: Can you also vouch for the authenticity of this opportunity? Please rate it here. However, do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless verified by you.