APPLY: 2024 University of Oxford AfOx Catalyst Grants for International Researchers
University of Oxford AfOx Catalyst Grants provide seed funding to support the development of collaborative research between researchers based in African research institutions and at the University of Oxford.
Catalyst Grants are open to all disciplines. Over the last 5 years, we have awarded over 200 Catalyst Grants that have initiated new collaborations between researchers from more than 100 African institutions with over 50 Oxford Departments.
AfOx Catalyst Grants have enabled a long-term collaboration between researchers in Africa and Oxford. These collaborations have led to significant research outcomes, policy impacts and substantial further funding.
There are two routes through which applications for a Catalyst Grant can be made: AfOx Travel Grants and AfOx Starter Grants.
AfOx Travel Grants
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more scholarships and other opportunitiesJoin our Telegram Community.
- AfOx Travel Grant supports the establishment of new collaborations through travel by applicants in either direction from an African institution to Oxford or vice versa. Travel Grants enable researchers to meet in either an African institution or Oxford and work together on an area of mutual interest.
- The AfOx Travel Grants fund activities including but not limited to, workshops and conferences, co-supervision, curriculum co-development, joint lectures and seminars, co-authoring publications, joint grant-applications and conducting of primary research.
- The duration of the travel grant can be between 1 to 8 weeks, and grants can be applied for a maximum of £5000.
- Applications for a travel grant must be made jointly between academics or researchers based in Africa at either an academic and non-academic institution and academics or researchers at the University of Oxford.
AfOx Starter Grants
- The AfOx Starter Grants fund activities including but not limited to, the early-phase development of ideas, feasibility studies, public engagement, and conducting of primary research.
- AfOx Starter Grants provide seed funding for activities which aim to develop sustainable partnerships and strengthening applications for longer-term fellowships and funding.
- AfOx Starter Grants can be up to 12 weeks.
- AfOx Starter Grants can be applied for a maximum of £5,000.
- Applications for a starter grant must be made jointly between academics or researchers based in Africa at either an academic and non-academic institution and academics or researchers at the University of Oxford.
- AfOx asks all applicants for the Starter Grants scheme to carefully consider the necessity for travel prior to submitting an application.
To be considered for the program, you must:
- Catalyst Grant support the development of sustainable and equitable partnership between researchers in Africa and the University of Oxford. Applications should indicate the value of the proposed activities to both collaborators.
- If applicable, please indicate how your project addresses a particular challenge linked to the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Awards for both the Catalyst Grants are made up to a maximum of £5,000 and must be made jointly between researchers based in Africa at either an academic and non-academic institution and researchers at the University of Oxford.
- The Catalyst Grant may cover more than two people and additional individuals should be named under ‘Purpose of the Grant’.
- The overarching aim of the scheme is to foster the development of new collaborations and the scheme is not intended to be used as alternative support for already established collaborations.
- Applications from doctoral students should be accompanied by a letter from the supervisor or head of department indication how the proposed activities will contribute to the development of sustainable, long term partnership between researchers in Africa and the University of Oxford.
Duration and Benefits
- The Travel Grant can be used to cover costs of travel (in either direction i.e. University of Oxford, UK to an institution in Africa or vice versa), accommodation and incidental expenses to a maximum of £5000.
- The Starter Grant can be used to cover the costs of developing new collaboration including expenses arising from a defined research project, feasibility studies or public engagement activities to a maximum of £5000.
- Applications must clearly address at least one Sustainable Development Goal and demonstrate how the proposed activities will bring benefits to the chosen area of study, and generate societal benefits beyond providing knowledge and understanding in the area of focus.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply using the button below or click this link
Deadline: 27th October, 2023
Start your Application
Below, you will find the application button, deadline information and other details. Good luck. But before you apply;share, rate and Join us for More.
Subscribe here for weekly newsletters.