PLSI Public Audit Media Fellowship Program 2023 for young Nigerian Journalists
PLSI through its MacArthur Foundation-funded project to strengthen public audit practices and accountability at the state level in Nigeria is implementing a Public Audit Media Fellowship to assist independent media actors to use audit data to investigate, report, and expose corruption at the subnational level in Nigeria.
This media fellowship will identify and train 10 journalists (two each) from five geopolitical zones of Nigeria (aside from North Central), on how to use public audit information combined with creative communication and data-driven storytelling skills to investigate, report, and expose corruption at subnational level in Nigeria. The media fellowship is focused on one state in each geo-political zone being considered, and the specific states include: South East – Anambra State, South South – Delta State, South West – Ekiti State, North West – Kaduna State, and North East – Yobe State.
Selected fellows would be supported to analyze annual audit reports of state governments track public spending with potential for corruption and investigate such spending with a view to exposing tendencies or reporting acts of corruption for possible sanction by relevant authorities. The 10 investigative stories developed from the media fellowship will be published via the medium by which the fellows work.
The training sessions will focus on various topics to be facilitated by field experts enhance the capacity of the fellows to better understand the public audit system and develop investigative stories.
The sessions will include:
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more scholarships and other opportunities
Join our Telegram Group here.
- Understanding public audit legal frameworks
- Sourcing and analyzing audit report
- Understanding the role of Auditor-General and the Public Audit Action Cycle
- Tracking stakeholders (Public Accounts Committee, Executive Agencies, Anti-Corruption Bodies) actions on audit findings
- Concept of investigative reporting/Journalism
- Understanding the functions of Public Accounts Committee
- Ethical and accuracy in data journalism
- Audit reports as source of investigative reporting
- Writing sample investigative report on 2020 and 2021 audit reports
- Data visualization, storytelling, and creative communication
- The Use of Freedom of Information Act
- Using technology tools for fact-checking
This media fellowship will identify and train 10 journalists (two each) from five geopolitical zones of Nigeria (aside North Central), on how to use public audit information combined with creative communication and data-driven storytelling skills to investigate, report, and expose corruption at subnational level in Nigeria. The media fellowship is focused on one state in each geo-political zones being considered, and the specific states include: South East – Anambra State, South South – Delta State, South West – Ekiti State, North West – Kaduna State and North East – Yobe State.
Duration and Benefits
The Fellowship will run for four weeks (six days in the first three weeks (virtual) and two days in the fourth week (physical) in Abuja, Nigeria). Fellows will be onboarded in October 2023.
- PLSI will provide N30,000 stipend to cover virtual training logistics. PLSI will also cover costs (return ticket – economy class, accommodation, and per diem) relating to the two days’ onsite training in Abuja.
- In Addition, PLSI will provide the sum of N100,000 to each fellow to support story coverage and logistics.
- PLSI will also hold rounds of engagements with stakeholders on the ideas to receive feedback and potential support.
PLSI does not guarantee the publishing of stories in the Nigerian dailies as applicants are ideally full-time writers, print, radio or broadcast journalists, filmmakers, bloggers, or other media makers, with well-established records of publication, dissemination, or broadcast in local, regional, or national markets, or among targeted audiences or constituencies.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply using the button below or click this link
Deadline: 6th October, 2023
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless verified by you.
Kindly share this opportunity with Journalists and others. Thank you.