2022 AACR June L. Biedler Prize for Cancer Journalism ($5,000 prize)
Applications are open for the AACR June L. Biedler Prize for Cancer Journalism 2022. The Prize was established by the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) in 2015 to raise awareness of the critical role that the media play in educating the public about cancer and cancer research.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
The AACR June L. Biedler Prize for Cancer Journalism has been established to showcase outstanding examples of cancer journalism, and to recognize individual professional journalists who have produced accurate, informative, and compelling stories.
- The prize will provide an unrestricted cash award of $5,000, and a commemorative award. The meeting is being planned for later this year.
Eligibility Requirement for 2022 AACR June L. Biedler Prize for Cancer Journalism
- Open to print, broadcast, and online professional journalists whose stories appear in newspapers, magazines, websites, television, and auditory journalism platforms that target lay public audiences.
- Prizes are intended to honor individual journalists. However, more than one journalist may be co-nominated and selected to receive a prize should the submitted piece be a result of contributions made by all involved parties.
- Stories must have been published or broadcast for the first time between January 1, 2020, and November 30, 2022.
- The submission must enhance the public’s understanding of cancer, cancer research, or policy.
- The submission must be in English, or accurately translated into English.
- More than one individual may share the prize as co-creators, with a maximum of two representatives invited to attend the AACR Annual Meeting to accept the prize if the prize is shared.
- Institutions or organizations are not eligible for the prize.
Submissions will be judged and recipients selected based on the following categories:
Print and Online
- Large newspaper (circulation >100,000)
- Small newspaper (circulation <100,000)
- Auditory Journalism (Radio and Podcasts)
- Each submission may only be considered for one category as selected by the candidate in his or her application form.
Nominations may be submitted by an individual, whether an AACR member or non-member. Applicants must maintain strict confidentiality of their submissions; all nominations must be submitted using AACR’s electronic award nomination platform. Paper nominations will not be accepted.
Nomination should include:
- Applicant background information and indication of prize category.
- Submission letter written in English (Max: 1,000 words), which comprehensively describes the submitted body of work and the impact of the submission on enhancing the public’s understanding of cancer, cancer research, or cancer policy.
- A brief citation (Max: 50 words) highlighting the major contributions made by the applicant and the submitted body of work to improving the public’s understanding of cancer, cancer research, or cancer policy.
- Applicant biography, résumé, or curriculum vitae.
- An electronic version (mp4, pdf, etc.) of the submitted body of work.
For more information, visit AACR June L. Biedler Prize.
The Application Deadline is 7th December 2022