The French Institutes for Advanced Study Fellowship Programme welcomes applications from high-level international scholars and scientists primarily in the fields of the social sciences and the humanities (SSH).
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
The offers 10-month fellowships in the six Institutes of Aix-Marseille, Loire Valley, Lyon, Montpellier, Nantes, and Paris.
The Paris Institute for Advanced Study (Paris IAS, or Institut d’études avancées de Paris) is an international research center that offers fellowships to researchers from all over the world in the field of humanities and social sciences. It is also open to other disciplines, in particular the life sciences, for projects in dialogue with the humanities and social sciences.
Scholarship Details of 2022 French Institutes for Advanced Study Fellowship Programme:
The FIAS Fellowship Programme is committed to ensuring equal opportunities and working
towards greater diversity within its academic community. It will not discriminate against
researchers in any way (gender, age, ethnic, national or social origin, religion or belief, sexual
orientation, language, disability, political opinion, social or economic condition).
The call is open to all disciplines in the SSH and all research fields. Research projects from other sciences that features a transversal dialogue with SSH are also eligible. It is highly recommended to check the Institutes webpages to learn more about their focus, scientific priorities and partners.
Scholarship Requirements for 2022 French Institutes for Advanced Study Fellowship Programme:
- FIAS awards fellowships to outstanding researchers of all career levels, from postdoctoral researchers to senior scientists.
- The minimum requirement is a PhD + 2 years of research experience at the time of the application. Exception will be made for scholars with a Master + 6 years of full-time research experience after the degree (PhD training will not be considered in the calculation of experience).
- Researchers from all countries are eligible to the FIAS Fellowship Programme but they must have spent no more than 12 months in France during the three years prior to the application deadline.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The French Institutes for Advanced Study Fellowship Programme offers 10-month fellowships in the six Institutes of Aix-Marseille, Loire Valley, Lyon, Montpellier, Nantes and Paris.
- A net living allowance (equivalent to take-home pay) of min. €2,700 per month
- Two flexible contractual options, considering individual situations: work contracts
or paid leave
- Adequate social security coverage
- Accommodation or support for relocation
- An individual research and training budget equivalent to €2,500 per year
- Travel expenses: one round trip from the fellows’ home country
- Skills training opportunities
Applicants are required to submit the following documents (in English exclusively) :
- The completed FIAS online application form
- A detailed curriculum vitae comprising a list of publications
- Copy of the PhD/Master diploma in a pdf format -if the writing system/script
used in the diploma is not Latin (but, for example, Cyrillic, Chinese, Arabic or some
other), a Latin script university certificate or official translation is requested
- A detailed research proposal: (maximum 5 pages and a bibliography – maximum 1
- A selection of three to five publications (articles or book chapters) *
- Up to two letters of recommendation (optional) **
- A letter of support/interest by an IAS’s local scientific partner (only requested
and mandatory for the Paris IAS and for MAK’IT (Montpelier IAS).
How To Apply For 2022 French Institutes for Advanced Study Fellowship Programme
Interested and qualified candidates should click on the apply button below to commence their application.
- June 2nd, 2022, 6:00 pm (Paris, France time): application deadline
- June 2022: eligibility check
- July-October 2022: double peer review
- November 2022: preselection by the FIAS Selection Committee (communication of preselection results, December 2022)
- January – February 2023: selection of fellows by IAS Scientific Advisory Boards and communication of results