2022 United Nations Internships Program for African Students
Open to: Africans, Graduates, Undergraduates, Youths
👤 Subscribe on WhatsApp
Login / Register
The United Nations Internship Program, under the supervision of the UN’s Economic Commission for Africa is an avenue for African students to learn how to bring global solutions to the continent’s problems and take local solutions to the continent.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
The Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) and Africa Sports Unified (ASU) launched in April 2021 the Programme of Work on Sport and Trade to leverage the ability for sport to support the inclusive implementation of the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) by targeting youth, women and girls and persons with disabilities.
The programme aims to explore and leverage the linkage between the AfCFTA and sport through knowledge generation and stakeholder engagement. The programme will understand how building and growing an inclusive and sustainable sports ecosystem can promote regional cooperation, entrepreneurship, employability, innovation, manufacturing and ultimately inclusive intra-African trade.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: (a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or (c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation;
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes a willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Duration and Reward
The internship is for six (6) months.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time. It is fully home-based. Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts by final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
How To Apply
Use the link provided below to access the application portal.
A completed online application (Motivation Statement and Administrative Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
- Degree Programme (What are you currently studying?)
- Graduation Date (When will you graduate or when did you graduate from the programme?)
- List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in.
- List your top three areas of interest.
- Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship.
- Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme.
Your online Administrative Profile includes all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references.
Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.