Tarbell Fellowship Program for Journalists 2023
The Tarbell Fellowship is a one-year programme for early-career journalists interested in covering emerging technologies, especially artificial intelligence.
Fellows receive a 9-month placement at a major newsroom, participate in a study group covering AI governance & technical fundamentals, and attend a 2-week journalism summit in Oxford. The Tarbell Fellowship provides a stipend of up to $50,000 to support these placements.
The programme incorporates expert speakers, feedback & mentorship from experienced journalists and networking events with experts from leading AI organisations. Upon graduation, they expect fellows to bring their impact-focused perspective to major newsrooms and publications around the globe.
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more scholarships and other opportunities
Join our Telegram Group here.
Eligibility Criteria for Tarbell Fellowship Tarbell Fellowship Program
- Open to early-career journalists interested in improving the world.
- There is no age limit for applying.
- Applicant should have a deep interest in artificial intelligence and its effects on society. Many fellows will have experience working in tech journalism, machine learning research, or AI governance.
- Be passionate about journalism. Previous newsroom experience (including at student newspapers) or comparable experience in a field such as law or research is desirable but not necessary. They seek to support early-career journalists and will prioritise potential over experience.
- Excellent writing skills. A creative approach to storytelling combined with the ability to quickly get to the heart of a new topic. Fellows must be able to produce compelling copy under tight deadlines.?
- Be relentless. The ability to doggedly pursue your goals and persevere in the face of adversity. Fellows must be willing to work hard and be capable of withstanding repeated rejection.
- Open-minded. The desire to understand the truth of any given story, even when it conflicts with prior beliefs. Fellows must be open to criticism and recognizing ways they can improve their writing and thinking.
Benefits of Tarbell Fellowship Tarbell Fellowship Program
- Placement. Fellows receive 9-12 placement at a major newsroom covering artificial intelligence. Placement details vary by outlet.
- Stipend. Fellows receive stipends of up to $50,000, depending on circumstances, for the duration of their placement. They expect stipends to vary between $35,000 – $50,000 depending on location and personal circumstances.
- Intensive AI Training. Prior to placements, fellows undergo a 2-month program on AI technical and governance fundamentals. This program requires ~10 hours per week and is conducted remotely. Sessions include guest lectures, paired assignments, and readings.
- Oxford Summit. Fellows attend a two week summit in Oxford at the beginning of the fellowship. This will be an intensive fortnight of guest speakers, workshops and networking events in Oxford and London. Travel and accommodation costs will be fully covered.
How to Apply
Go to Tarbell Fellowship on docs.google.com to apply
Complete the application form. Include your CV, answer some short questions and provide 1-3 writing samples. The 2024 Tarbell Fellowship will run from January – December 2024. Applications for this cohort will close on October 1, 2023.
For more details, visit Tarbell Fellowship website
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless verified by you.
Kindly share this opportunity with Journalists and others. Thank you.