Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program 2024 (Travel Grants available)
Applications are now open for the 2024 Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program. Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is an intensive academic and enrichment program designed for African secondary school students planning to pursue tertiary education and who wish to make a meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent.
Participants will enhance their academic skills, receive guidance on university admissions and career path options, and join a network of young leaders across Africa. Following the program, students will be paired with mentors who will advise them throughout the university application process.
Throughout the program, when YYAS takes place online or in residence, participants will utilise various online platforms, including Zoom, to engage in seminars, lectures, and conversations. All relevant program information will be communicated directly to admitted participants.
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is a proud member of the HALI Access Network and continues to enjoy support from The Whitney and Betty MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies at Yale. YYAS was modeled off its sister program, Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS), and continues to operate under its umbrella.
In order to apply to YYAS, applicants MUST fulfill all of the following requirements:
- Age: You must be between the ages of 14-18 years old on 18 July 2024 in order to be considered (i.e. born between 19 July 2005 and 18 July 2010). Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 16-17.
- English: You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- School location: You must currently attend school in an African country.
- Grade Level: You must be a current 10th or 11th grade student (or the international equivalents).
- Graduation date: If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest May/June 2025 and no later than May/June 2026. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2024 and no later than November/December 2025.
If you are currently in your final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
If you are a YYAS or YYGS alumnus/a, you may NOT apply or reapply for YYAS. (*However, if you are a YYAS alumnus/a, you can apply to YYGS if eligible.)
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more scholarships and other opportunitiesJoin our Telegram Community.
Duration and Benefits
In 2024, YYAS will offer an online program option and a residential program option. There are no tuition costs for participation in either program.
- YYAS Workshop (online): The YYAS Workshop will offer admission to ~200 students, and is open to students across all countries in Africa. To participate, students must be able to access Zoom and Canvas on their own mobile phone, tablet, and/or computer with reliable internet for the duration of the program. The program will focus on career exploration, preparing for the university application process, and making the transition from secondary school to university. Given the limited duration of the program, YYAS has strict attendance expectations where students are unable to miss even one day of the program. Students who successfully finish the program will receive a pdf YYAS Certificate of Completion that can be added to college and university applications. The YYAS Workshop (online) is entirely free of charge.
- YYAS Summit (residential in Zimbabwe): The YYAS Summit will offer admission to ~120 students, and is open to students across all countries in Africa. Students will reside on a residential school campus in Zimbabwe for ten (10) days. The program will focus on the same college prep topics as the online workshop in addition to leadership, innovation, design, and 21st century skills. Given the limited duration of the program, YYAS has strict attendance expectations where students are unable to miss even one day of the program. Students who successfully finish the program will receive a pdf YYAS Certificate of Completion that can be added to college and university applications. The YYAS Summit is tuition-free ($0) and provides free housing, meals, and all academic curriculum materials.
Travel and Travel Grants
For the YYAS Summit (residential in Zimbabwe), all students must be able to travel to and from Zimbabwe, and all students will coordinate and pay/fundraise for any required travel documentation (such as passport, travel visa, etc.).
Regarding transportation (such as flights), there are a limited number of need-based Travel Grants available for students who are offered admission and live outside of Zimbabwe. All applicants will automatically be reviewed for Travel Grant eligibility, and each offer of admission for the YYAS Summit will include information about whether or not a Travel Grant was provided (and then students and families can choose whether to accept or decline that offer of admission).
All students who do not receive/qualify for a Travel Grant must be able coordinate and pay/fundraise for their travel to and from Zimbabwe.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply using the button below or click this link
Deadline: 25th January, 2024
Start your Application
Below, you will find the application button, deadline information and other details. Good luck. But before you apply;share, rate and Join us for More.
Subscribe here for weekly newsletters.