The United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) will be awarding a number of scholarships for study in Japan to 2022 student intake. The award of the scholarships listed is based on application selection results. Only applicants that are accepted for enrolment in the UNU- masters and doctoral degree programmes can be considered as candidates for the scholarships.
UNU-IAS offers master’s and doctoral degree programmes focused on sustainability. The programmes aim to produce the policymakers and researchers of tomorrow, who will be at the forefront of global efforts towards a more sustainable future.
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more scholarships and other opportunities
Join our Telegram Group here.
Eligibility Criteria For United Nations University-IAS Scholarships
- Applicants must be persons from developing countries (included in the latest OECD DAC list) who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance
- Applicants who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are NOT eligible for the scholarship
- Applicants who want to pursue a second master’s degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship
- Applicants who want to pursue a second PhD degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship.
- Additional eligibility conditions for different scholarships are available on the official website.
- The JFUNU scholarship: provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY* for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months. However, travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student. The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients.
*The amount of monthly allowance is 120,000 JPY (2021 rate).
- The UNU Rector’s scholarship: provides a monthly allowance of 130,000 JPY (subject to change) for living expenses for a maximum of 24 months. Travel costs to and from Japan will be covered by the scholarship. The tuition fees are covered by the donor for the scholarship recipients.
- The Resona Bank scholarship: provides a monthly allowance of 130,000 JPY (subject to change) for living expenses for a maximum of 24 months. Travel costs to and from Japan will be covered by the scholarship (up to JPY 260,000). The tuition fees are covered by the donor for the scholarship recipients.
- Asian Development Bank–Japan Scholarship Program: Provides full tuition, subsistence allowance including housing allowance, medical and accident insurance, books, and instrumental allowance will be covered by the scholarship. The monthly subsistence allowance including housing allowance for one person for the academic year 2021 is JPY 147,000 (subject to change for the academic year 2022). An economy class airfare will also be provided for the most direct route between the scholar’s home country and Tokyo Narita International Airport.
How To Apply
There is no separate application form for the United Nations University-IAS Scholarships as it is a part of the online application for admission into the MSc or PhD programme. Interested applicants must provide necessary information and documents for the scholarship together with the required documents for admission to the degree programme they are applying for. See 2022 Application Guide
The Application Deadline is 21st February 2022.
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless verified by you.