2023 United Nations Nippon Foundation Fellowship
The Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea of the Office of Legal Affairs of the United Nations (“OLA/DOALOS”), is now accepting applications for the 2023 session of the United Nations – The Nippon Foundation Fellowship Programme.
The 9-month Fellowship Programme is composed of two consecutive phases which provide Fellows with advanced and customized research and training opportunities in their chosen fields.
Details of United Nations Nippon Foundation Fellowship:
The United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellowship provides Government officials and other mid-level professionals from developing States with advanced training on ocean affairs and the law of the sea, as well as related disciplines, including marine science in support of management frameworks. Fellows will learn about international legal frameworks, key issues and best practices in ocean affairs, become familiar with the work of the United Nations, and develop professional skills. Fellows will also conduct individual research, under academic supervision, and develop a written thesis on a topic selected by them.
Upon completion of the Fellowship, Fellows are expected to return to their home countries and use their in-depth knowledge and extended experience to assist in formulating comprehensive ocean policy and in implementing the legal regime set out in the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea and related instruments, including through designing, implementing and/or evaluating specific improvement projects.
The 9-month Fellowship Programme is composed of two consecutive phases which provide Fellows with advanced and customized research and training opportunities in their chosen fields:
- Phase One: 3-month Research and Training, which is normally undertaken between March/April and June at DOALOS at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
- Phase Two: 6-month Advanced Academic Research and Study, which is normally undertaken between July and December at one of the prestigious participating Host Institutions and under the guidance of subject matter expert(s) who have recognized in-depth expertise in the Fellows’ chosen field of study.
The deliverables of the Fellowship Programme are:
- A 100-page written thesis
- A presentation of the research
- An ocean governance matrix
In addition, a number of assignments will be completed in the context of the training curriculum delivered during phase one of the programme.
To be considered for the Program, you must:
- Be between the ages of 25 and 40
- Have successfully completed a first university degree, and demonstrate a capacity to undertake independent advanced academic research and study
- Be a mid-level professional from a national government organ of a developing State, or another governmental or non-governmental agency in such a State, which deals directly with ocean affairs issues, and your professional position must allow you to directly assist your nation in the formulation and/or implementation of policy in this area.
Duration and Reward
- The program will run for a period of 9 months
- Fellows will receive a stipend each month during their Fellowship, both during their time in New York and, for United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellows participating in the 9-month programme, during their time at the second phase host institution.
- In addition to the stipend, the United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellows (the 9-month Programme) will be provided with a Book Allowance of US$100 per month for the phase two of the Fellowship ($600 altogether).
- Fellows will be provided with a return economy class air-ticket to travel from their home country to complete the Fellowship.
- For the period of the Fellowship, medical coverage is provided by Cigna Health Insurance. Cigna offers 100% medical coverage for general medical and hospital treatments up to a certain limit.
How To Apply
Satisfaction of the above criteria must be clearly demonstrated by the candidate through the application forms and confirmed by a nominating authority. Women candidates are strongly invited to apply, with a view to achieve gender balance in the selection process.
Interested candidates should apply using the link below.
The Application Deadline is 14th September 2022
⚡️We have recorded a 96% success rate on our ad packages at Latest Opportunities. You can read customers comments, check our numbers or book a package now.
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.
Receive Weekly Offers
Follow the guide on landing page
- How to Win Undergraduate Scholarships in Nigeria
- Study Loan Sources for International Students
- Free IELTS Study Materials | Download for offline use
- How to Live and Study in UK for International Students
- How to Live and Study in USA for International Students
- Prepare yourself with Recruitment, Interview & Aptitude Tests.
You must log in to post a comment.