Applications are invited from international students for the 2023 DAAD Bi-national Research Program.
The Program allows international students to earn a doctoral degree at their home universities as well as in Germany university.
This programme offers you the opportunity to do a bi-national doctoral degree at your home university and at a university in Germany.
If a language course scholarship is granted and the working language at the host institute is German, participation is compulsory. Due to the pandemic, German courses may take place online.
The bi-national program has two options:
- Doctorate with bi-national supervision: Your doctoral project is supervised by a university teacher both at your home university and at the host institute in Germany (so-called “sandwich model”). Your project must be agreed with both supervisors according to the following procedure:
- You start your doctoral degree in your home country.
- This is followed by research trips to Germany.
- You complete your doctorate in your home country and are also supervised by the German academic adviser.
- Your home university awards the doctoral degree.
2. Doctorate following the “Cotutelle” procedure:
Funding is provided for doctoral projects that are carried out at the home university and at a university in Germany according to the so-called Cotutelle model. This is based on an individual cooperation agreement which is concluded individually for your doctoral project by the participating universities. After you have successfully completed your doctorate, the German university and your home university award the doctoral degree jointly.
To be considered for the DAAD Scholarship, you must:
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more scholarships and other opportunitiesJoin our Telegram Community.
- Have earned a Master’s degree or Diploma (for sandwich model)
- Have been admitted to a doctoral programme at the latest at the start of the funding period (for Cotutelle model)
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The Scholarship period will run between 7 and a maximum of 24 months
- €1,200 Monthly payments for doctoral candidates during the stay in Germany
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel allowances for up to three outward and return journeys
- A research allowance
- Travel and accommodation expenses according to the German Federal Travel Expenses Law for your supervising university teachers for one trip of up to 10 days
– to Germany to monitor progress
– to your home university to take part in final examinations.
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Application Form (to be completed)
- Research Proposal
How To Apply
Applications will be reviewed base on the following:
- Academic achievements (grade point average, development of grades)
- Academic progress
- Knowledge of the language of instruction or working language
- If applicable, scholarly achievements after graduation, (e.g. publications, lectures, conference papers)
2. Quality of research project
- Quality of research proposal and preparation (originality, topicality and relevance of the project, choice of host institution and first contacts)
- Feasibility and consistency of study plan and schedule (analysis and evaluation stages)
- Incorporation of project within the overall doctorate (in terms of content and time), if relevant
3. Potential of applicant
- Career prospects: significance of the research project and stay in Germany for further academic, professional and personal development
- Motivation: academic and personal reasons for wanting to visit Germany, German language skills (if different from working language)
- Non-study-related activities: non-study-related knowledge and skills, civic engagement
Interested and qualified candidates should apply using the link below.
The Application Deadline is 14th October 2022
Documents & Guides
Below are relevant document samples and guides that may aid your application.
- Download CVs & Cover letters
- Download study materials
- Download career resources
- Download other materials
Begin your Application
Subscribe here for weekly newsletters.
DISCLAIMER: Can you also vouch for the authenticity of this opportunity? Please rate it here. However, do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless verified by you.