The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a premier research-to-policy institution that generates evidence, strengthens research and related capacity in the African research and Development (R&D) ecosystem; and engages policy to inform action on health and development.
The Center through its Research and Related Capacity Strengthening (RRCS) Division seeks to strengthen individual and institutional research capacity to enable African researchers fully participate in defining and implementing priority population and health programs in the continent. As part of individual capacity-strengthening efforts, APHRC has over the years been running a demand driven research internship program that among others seeks to nurture talented young Africans to become future scholars and research leaders.
For the 2023 period, we have seven (7) internship opportunities available for a period of 3-6months starting May 2023. While applicants will only be selected for one project, we encourage interested individuals to select two projects in order of their preference and priority for best placing from a list of the following projects:
- Improving parenting of young women’s contraceptive use and continuation through home and mobile-based counseling in Korogocho: A pilot study.
- Strengthening the capacity for play-based learning: Evidence from the Kenya Study Protocol
- Empowering women through provision of quality childcare services and strengthening their capacities to engage in paid labor opportunities (GrOW ll project).
- Action to empower adolescent mothers in Burkina Faso and Malawi to improve their sexual and reproductive health.
- Supporting the writing of manuscripts documenting the impact of APHRC short course trainings.
- Promoting holistic health and wellbeing of pregnant and parenting adolescents and their children in Africa – a life course model.
- Long-Term Impact Evaluation of PEPFAR’s DREAMS Interventions to Prevent HIV among Adolescent Girls and Young Women in Nairobi Informal Settlements.
Responsibilities in The African Population and Health Research Center
Successful candidates will be expected to:
- Work with the assigned supervisor to develop a set of objectives for the internship, a work plan, and to deliver on the objectives.
- Work closely with an identified supervisor to provide frequent project updates, reports etc.
- Contribute to policy engagement and strategic planning as may be needed.
- Submit an article/ publication to institutional crediting work (i.e., lay dissemination materials such as- policy/research briefs and fact sheets).
- Deliver at least one internal brown bag presentation during their internship period at APHRC.
- Submit a written report at least 1 week before the end of the internship.
- Submit an internship/visiting scholar feedback questionnaire.
Minimum Qualifications and Expectations of The African Population and Health Research Center
- At least have completed a Bachelor’s Degree in the last six months or have an ongoing or completed Master’s degree in any of the following areas: Population
- Studies/Demography, Statistics, Epidemiology, Economics, Social Sciences, or related discipline.
- More information in the field of education required can be found in the individual project write up.
- Quantitative and qualitative analytical skills are desired.
- This call is open to nationals of Sub-Saharan African countries.
- The internship will mostly be virtual.
Requirements of The African Population and Health Research Center
Interested applicants are required to:
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more scholarships and other opportunitiesJoin our Telegram Community.
- Submit a Curriculum Vitae.
- Submit a certificate of your completed undergraduate/graduate degree.
- A recommendation letter from a previous/current supervisor supporting your suitability for the internship.
How to Apply
All you need to do to apply is to click the link below:
Documents & Guides
Below are relevant document samples and guides that may aid your application.
- Download CVs & Cover letters
- Download study materials
- Download career resources
- Download other materials
Begin your Application
Subscribe here for weekly newsletters.
DISCLAIMER: Can you also vouch for the authenticity of this opportunity? Please rate it here. However, do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless verified by you.